What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Hi ! RCZ R remap

Sunseeker

Reaction score
Hi ! I'm a new member :)
Recently bought a 35k miles fabolous Rcz R.
I'm searching for someone with a simple k&n filtwr panel and a stage 1 remap for have some feedback.
I got an exceptional remapper avaiable at 40 km'a from my home, one of the best in Italy , which guarantee me a solid and safe 30hp boost in a full safe reliability conditions. The guy is guru in remaps with hubdreds of positive reviews.The car engine is like a new one and in perfect conditions. Any experience to share ? Thanx in advance ! :)

RCZ-R

Reaction score
The R engine runs very hot on the exhaust header side when operated on full load for longer time. About 5 minutes of hi speed on autobahn during summer is enough to bring up the temperatures.
Your tuner needs to be aware of that. Otherwise by pushing the numbers high you might run into serious heat issues causing your turbo waste gate go leaking and the exhaust header warp.
30 PS plus on that engine is a risk in my opinion. Peugeot Sport runs those engines in some racing series at about 300 horses. But they use a different turbo to the one you have under the bonnet.

If you are looking for more fun on the typical B roads, I recommend you go for a small power hike at about +10PS and about +40Nm. I'm sure it will be enough to transform the engine without going beyond any mechanical limits of this engine.

That is my opinion on it.

Sunseeker

Reaction score
Wow , that is professional. Thanx indeed. So maybe at this point we can assume that a intercooler update will be a nice solution for lower temperatures on a remap ?

RCZ-R

Reaction score
The intercooler won't help with the issues I described. Those happen after the fuel was burnt. The IC helps with "issues" before fuel is burnt.
By the way, the stock IC on the R is pretty good, IMHO. Sure, it is always good to improve on the intake side as well. But when you go for another +10-15PS the stock IC will be able to deal with it.
I drove my R in temperatures up to +43°C and never suffered from too hot intake air temperature. All was good on this side of the engine.

Upping the IC would only be advisable when you would go for a big power spike on the R engine. But then again you would also swap the turbo, the whole intake system, machine a one-off special exhaust header + downpipe (the stock one is very good on the R, one huge pipe pointing down) and change the catalyst. So at the end it would be like doing the R engine new, a lot of money to put in place.

I'm not saying that the R engine has overheating problems. Not at all.
You just need to be aware of this topic when pushing this engine beyond its stock numbers.

Sunseeker

Reaction score
Very clear. Thanx indeed dude, i will change only the air filter and no remap at all :)

RCZ-R

Reaction score
You could go for software map on a rolling road.

I assume you living in Italy do not have the chance to push the RCZ R at top speed for minutes and minutes on the autostrada. I know, Italians drive faster than allowed on the autostrada :)
But there is still a difference if you do like 250 kmh for 5 or 10 minutes constantly (which I did a lot on German autobahns) or if you only go for a short acceleration sprint and then back off to 140 kmh.

So if you want to have a bit more power for the spirited drive on B roads then a properly applied software update to the engine's ECU would still be OK.
But the questions is, who could reliable do that update?
I don't know of any in the mainland of Europe. I would ask RS Tuning in Leeds, UK, cause I have plenty of trust in what they do. But still, I don't know if they had any RCZ-R before on their rolling road.

There were two reasons why I never did a remap to my R:
1st the balance between engine power / gear ratios / suspension setup was just perfect for me. I could leave any car behind me when doing spirited driving in the Alps. Or any other B road. Sure, there is never enough power in any car. But the balance has to be in place too.
2nd I never found a reliable company to do a proper remap on my R which would last my full speed blastings on the autobahns.

This is where I stopped and invested into proper rubber (Michelin PS4s) and enjoyed this car to its fullest.

Sunseeker

Reaction score
Well, i totally agree with your very proper consideration my man. Tbh i will evaluate a light remap , like 10hp but only for do some corrections on the erogation curves. Thank you , really appreciate !

Flanners

Reaction score
Think there are a few Dutch owner's who have been running 300bhp on the stock R for quite a while now.

I agree full speed runs for miles/minutes on end would not be good for heat etc although the internals, block and gearbox should be up to it. I wonder how much was different on the Bimota Special Edition R as that was apparently running circa 304bhp I read it had a custom exhaust, improved ECU (remap?) and a revised bypass valve for the turbocharger. Guess short high speed runs or accelerations etc would be ok; but I won't be doing it on mine it's just the issue of it only being a 16000cc lump for starters!

Marmite

Reaction score
Had my R mapped to stage one wish I hadn’t of bothered yes it was a bit quicker but ended up with turbo trouble so had it rebuilt an put back to stock an that’s where it’s staying as I now have reliability back ..... never again !

E.C.Ewe

Reaction score
I wouldn't remap my RCZ R as Peugeot have pretty much taken this 1.6 litre engine to the limit of it's performance without turning it into a fragile race engine. To get another 30hp out of it and risk blowing up the engine or turbo simply isn't worth it as a replacement turbo is expensive not to mention an engine rebuild if it chucks a rod through the side of the block or blows a piston because of the increased temps and loads on them. Don't know if the pistons or rod are forged? The car in std form is quick enough and well into license losing speeds in most countries except Germany where you can drive flat out on the autobahns. In any case with the R Peugeot uprated the suspension and braking as well making it a pretty quick car. It is more than fast enough for most roads.

Be cautious of what your remapper is telling you as they have an interest in trying to sell you something. They will say anything. They won't be around when your turbo or clutch or engine or all three go pop, and they probably won't pay for the repairs! Leave it as std. Don't even put a K&N filter on it as this will make the fuel mix leaner and the engine burn hotter. I would just make sure it has good fresh oil and filter, good plugs, HT leads and a new std air filter. Paper filters are fine. Can't be bothered with all that faffing around cleaning and oiling K&N filters for marginal or next to no gains. Save your cash.

Last edited:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
The R engine is forged from factory. It can handle 300 horses. But with a different turbo on it. The stock turbo is good for up to 285 hp.