What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Hdi noise improvements?

Jambondrums

Reaction score
Hi. I've had my RCZ gt hdi for 3 days now. It's great. However, I was wondering if anyone has fitted any mods that make it sound more sporty? Obviously it's a diesel and is never going to sound like an Alfa V6 or Ferrari V8 etc.....but I was just wondering if anyone has molded the sound at all?
Cheers in advance.
James.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Welcome 👋
If you do a search in the forum for quads, you will find there have been various solutions.
I know of a garage in Leeds West Yorkshire (Tony Banks) that does quad exhausts and I believe they offer 3 different sound levels.

Jambondrums

Reaction score
Welcome 👋
If you do a search in the forum for quads, you will find there have been various solutions.
I know of a garage in Leeds West Yorkshire (Tony Banks) that does quad exhausts and I believe they offer 3 different sound levels.
Okey doke, thanks for that. I shall have a look.

Jambondrums

Reaction score
I have the Remus quads on my HDi; on it when I bought it.
They look good, and that is about it!
Nothing exciting sound-wise, and I'm convinced they do nothing to the performance.
Ah fair enough. A diesel is a diesel I guess. Easy to get more performance out of with remaps etc.....not alot can be done about tuning the sound then. Doubt I'll bother with the exhaust then, thanks for your comments. A remap is definitely on the cards though.

Ecrivain

Reaction score
Welcome 👋
Presumably they are different systems, so you have to choose one?
(Would be good if you had a button on the dash to switch between them... You could turn it down to visit granny, and up for the boy racers' meet-up... :) )

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Yes I think it’s the way the internal structure is made up. They obviously can do it in 3 different ways, each a bit louder than the other. I gather from one comment made on the forum they offer one which is around the same as the stock system, and the other two are progressively louder.

Jumper

Reaction score
That's the trade off with Z's Derv's sound like a bag of hammers with a puffy exhaust even with quads. Ive had a 3 inch duplex and back box delete on a 2L Saab turbo and it still sounded pants. But apparantly the dervs are more reliable. I'll never understand the connection with sports cars with a diesel engine no matter how fast the BM's, Audi's and Jags are its still a derv sorry.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Turbos stifle sound.
Pretty much all you'll get is what mongs with straight piped Bora diesels get, a horrible farting noise and the whir of the turbo.
I put a cheap exhaust on my petrol RCZ and it sounded ok if not overly loud.

Jambondrums

Reaction score
I have to agree about diesel and sports cars. I'm very happy with my RCZ, but I would've preferred the petrol, but I needed the economy. I could've got a boring diesel hatch, but I still wanted something that would be a car I was proud of, fun to drive etc.....so the RCZ fits the bill. I am rather impressed with it must say, I just wondered if there was a way to improve the sound, but obviously not really. I shall contenttself with a remap in the near future and some new alloys too!!

Jambondrums

Reaction score
Plus, I do have some rather lovely sounding other motors too, so guess I'm just being greedy....

Ian J.

Reaction score
Peugeot have solved this but not for the RCZ alas.
Up until recently my wife had a 2017 3008GT , a 2 litre diesel but in sport mode the noise in the cabin was pretty impressive on acceleration , whether it sounded the same outside the car who knows.

Jumper

Reaction score
They dont, my mate at work has the same car. Lovely inside and I was suprised to see the R gear knob on it as standard. If your not a spanner man/women and do over 12k a year the derv is the way to go with Zs. Otherwise the high price at the pumps doesnt off set the price of fuel per annual miles. But I guess the issues with petrols puts them off re high bills if they cant DIY like myself and other owners. Plus I will never buy a sports car that sounds bloody awfull i.e diesel. Thats me of course some folk dont care about the sound.