What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Front wheelspin in wet weather?

travelswithanrcz

Reaction score
Hi guys, I drive an RCZ 200 MKI & I'm just curious about the wet weather performance and if what I'm experiencing is normal?

I used to drive a 140bhp '08 Civic and even in fairly heavy rain, I could put the foot down quite comfortably in 3rd and not have much in the way of wheelspin.

Now I know the RCZ 200 is putting out a lot more power, but in wet weather it almost feels like mine becomes a slow car. Anything above a half press of the accelerator in 2nd or 3rd and I get loads of wheelspin on the front wheels. Sometimes I even feel like I can't keep up with family cars for a few seconds until I'm up to around 50mph and in 4th gear.

My RCZ has 19" wheels and all the tyres were brand new in March and have only done around 3,000 miles.

Am I just crap at driving my RCZ in wet weather? Is there a trick I'm missing, or is this anything I should be concerned about?

As always, cheers muchly!

Kris

travelswithanrcz

Reaction score
I'm guessing these are a bit shit?

I'm in Scotland and it rains all the time, so happy enough to spend money on a decent set of tyres if it'll actually make a difference.

Attachments

• IMG_20220908_174814.jpg
    IMG_20220908_174814.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20220908_174809.jpg
    IMG_20220908_174809.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 24

J_D

Reaction score
Yep, that'll be your problem, cheap brand tyres mate 😊

I can highly recommend Goodyear Asymmetric 6 which I had fitted a few weeks ago.

Also get your alignment done at the same time as this will also help. (You only need front alignment on these cars)

I used Asda tyres to get the best price and they delivered to a tyre shop of my choice. I used F1 Auto centres as I found a £2 off voucher on alignment.

Your tyres dictates how your car brakes, steers, accelerates and could be the difference between having an accident and not having an accident, and is the best mod you can do to a car.

Hope all this info helps mate 😊 👍🏼

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Have a look here ….

travelswithanrcz

Reaction score
Update: despite it in hindsight being the blindingly obvious solution, can say that I recently stuck a pair of Toyo Proxes Sports on the front end of my RCZ and have instantly noticed the wheelspin issue has virtually disappeared.

Lesson learned from this: don't drive around on shite tyres 😁

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221111_095202_com.android.gallery3d_edit_64406109146941.jpg
    Screenshot_20221111_095202_com.android.gallery3d_edit_64406109146941.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 13

indoldn

Reaction score
Update: despite it in hindsight being the blindingly obvious solution, can say that I recently stuck a pair of Toyo Proxes Sports on the front end of my RCZ and have instantly noticed the wheelspin issue has virtually disappeared.

Lesson learned from this: don't drive around on shite tyres 😁
I must say I was a bit sceptical previously. Mine had old Dunlop RT Maxx and always felt front wheels were spinning a little bit when trying to accelerate quickly. Wanted to try Pilot Sports 4S but they were too much money and went for Continental SportsContact 7 and the difference were significant and you can certainly feel they are more grip available. In saying that the Dunlop were old so be interesting if they were new what the difference would be.

travelswithanrcz

Reaction score
Yeah tbf, my old tyres weren't spinning a little bit, they were absolutely dreadful.

Went for the Proxes Sport as they were within budget (£160 each) and they had an A rating for wet weather grip.

So far, so good. It's rained pretty much every day since I got them too, so money well spent.

lfe

Reaction score
This is something I don't understand, if the car has traction control the wheels should not skid, even over wet.

I have driven cars that even on snow the wheels do not spin.

In my RCZ they spin over wet, but never over dry floor, even if you try to start as hard as possible.

It has Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Kerr

Reaction score
This is something I don't understand, if the car has traction control the wheels should not skid, even over wet.

I have driven cars that even on snow the wheels do not spin.

In my RCZ they spin over wet, but never over dry floor, even if you try to start as hard as possible.

It has Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Traction control does not stop all wheelspin. You'll feel the wheels spinning and losing traction before the traction control kicks in. It still won't eliminate wheelspin totally.