What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Fan staying on

Pedro

Reaction score
I wonder if they tried cleaning the Mass Airflow sensor & the Map sensor apparently they should be cleaned after 35.000 klm because they get coated with a film of Oil which can affect the Engines performance ?

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
If you was in Doncaster I would have gone to Peter Ambrose in Castleford as these were and highly recommended by peugeot UK... And I am aware of many RCZ owners who take there RCZs to them as they do know the cars and what they are doing.... I know from personal experience as I live in York and am only 1/2 a mile away from the peugeot dealership I do travel to here for the work to be done on my RCZs. My mother of 79 years young also lives close and they do collect her 107 and service and mot hers and collect it from her home and return it to her the next day and leave her a car for her use in the meantime.....
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀 les and kaz and Co

Pauls7777

Reaction score
As a new owner moving to Rotherham I am anxious to know which garages worked on your car - their track record doesn't sound impressive.
Castleford might be a bit of of a trek....

Mrrcz

Reaction score
Looking for some advice for my daughter, she bought her RCZ last August, a 2014 model with low mileage, so she expected trouble free motoring. Boy was she wrong!
4 months later the car was going into limp home mode. Peugeot main dealer said it was the timing - cost her £1031.
4 months later warning light on and limp down mode, she went to a local garage for help. Car checked out and found to be mechanically sound but could do with a full service - cost her £250, warning light went off. Next day when the car was started the warning light was back on. same mechanic decided the rocker cover could be the issue - cost her £440. Couple of days later, back to limp down mode and now the cooling fan was working overtime, sounding light an aircraft for over 5 minutes after engine turned off! Mechanic then decided he hadn't a clue and suggested trying a main dealer again.
Tried a different main dealer this time - they said car had 18 warnings showing, they replaced the high pressure fuel pump - cost her £980. At the end of the drive home, the fans were on full pelt as usual!
They suggested the issue must be the timing and as this has been done fairly recently and they must have made an error so she should take it back to the original main dealer. Who then proceeded to deny any issues with the timing, suggesting initially instead it probably needed a de-coke (est £1000). But then discovered a potential issue of a split pipe to the rocker cover and a failing battery that needed replacing - cost her £315. Told all warnings wiped and fan issue gone, went to pick car up and told windows wouldn't close properly! (offered to fix that for free next week).
My daughter drove 12 miles home and the fans stayed on yet again (no warning lights on dash).

My husband is taking her car back to garage tomorrow, we are sick to death of her paying out for solutions that don't work after spending around £3,000.
The fan stays on when just turning on the engine on the drive, so it isn't an overheating issue. My husband tried the BSI re set suggested on here but no joy.
Any suggestions on what the cause could be would be most welcome. Could it be something like a faulty heat sensor?
the joys of owning a French car! I had similar problems with a Citroen VTS, diesel model. the fan was staying on up to 20 minutes after switch off, long runs only. I sold mine private so never found out the cause. I currently have a Peugeot RCZ 2.0 HDI 2014. apart from annoying sound from brakes and fuse blowing in winter for Window washer never had any problems. is your daughter's car petrol or diesel?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
As a new owner moving to Rotherham I am anxious to know which garages worked on your car - their track record doesn't sound impressive.
Castleford might be a bit of of a trek....
I would have told you to steer clear of Evans Halshaw Peugeot Wakefield, but they were so bad they’ve just lost their franchise.

Jumper

Reaction score
I replaced my rocker cover last April and in my haste forgot to replace the engine PCV breather pipe on the left side of the engine properly. Then when I took it for a test drive the fans came on straight away and on full bore while I was driving and 30 mins after I came home. Using an OBD reader I had the same code as your daughters car
which can point to unmetered air on the inlet side of the throttle body because the breather hose was off fresh air was going into the throttle body thowing up P2279 via the MAP sensor.
Anyway after researching the code and again using the fabulous North American Mini forum they explained the cure. They said re connect the hose and make sure its on tight not loose. Drive the car for 70/100 miles so I did I went to Lancaster and back on the M6 fans still going mad. Returned home and switched the car off no fans then restarted it and no fans all back to normal. Put the OBD reader on and the code had moved to pending so I deleted it and its been fine since. Ask the garage to check the rocker cover breather hoses PCV hoses on both sies of the rocker cover.

tabpops

Reaction score
Looking for some advice for my daughter, she bought her RCZ last August, a 2014 model with low mileage, so she expected trouble free motoring. Boy was she wrong!
4 months later the car was going into limp home mode. Peugeot main dealer said it was the timing - cost her £1031.
4 months later warning light on and limp down mode, she went to a local garage for help. Car checked out and found to be mechanically sound but could do with a full service - cost her £250, warning light went off. Next day when the car was started the warning light was back on. same mechanic decided the rocker cover could be the issue - cost her £440. Couple of days later, back to limp down mode and now the cooling fan was working overtime, sounding light an aircraft for over 5 minutes after engine turned off! Mechanic then decided he hadn't a clue and suggested trying a main dealer again.
Tried a different main dealer this time - they said car had 18 warnings showing, they replaced the high pressure fuel pump - cost her £980. At the end of the drive home, the fans were on full pelt as usual!
They suggested the issue must be the timing and as this has been done fairly recently and they must have made an error so she should take it back to the original main dealer. Who then proceeded to deny any issues with the timing, suggesting initially instead it probably needed a de-coke (est £1000). But then discovered a potential issue of a split pipe to the rocker cover and a failing battery that needed replacing - cost her £315. Told all warnings wiped and fan issue gone, went to pick car up and told windows wouldn't close properly! (offered to fix that for free next week).
My daughter drove 12 miles home and the fans stayed on yet again (no warning lights on dash).

My husband is taking her car back to garage tomorrow, we are sick to death of her paying out for solutions that don't work after spending around £3,000.
The fan stays on when just turning on the engine on the drive, so it isn't an overheating issue. My husband tried the BSI re set suggested on here but no joy.
Any suggestions on what the cause could be would be most welcome. Could it be something like a faulty heat sensor?
I have the exact same problem with the fan in my car which I've owned for 2yrs. I first renewed the temp sensor and that cured it...for about 3 weeks. Since then, whenever I get the car serviced or MOT'd, I ask whatever garage to sort the fan problem out. Anything they do lasts about a week on average. It's so frustrating. What I chose to do, after owning the car a couple of months, was to remove the fuse operating the fan. The car doesn't overheat, even in the summer. The only drawbacks are no air con and a reminder, every time I start the vehicle, that I have an engine fault. No problem for me and better than a flat battery. I was recently advised to approach an auto electrician about the fan problem. He said it sounded like my car may need a software update. So I went to Peugeot who said they would perform a diagnostic test which would update the software. The cost was £99. They assure me the software is now up to date but I need a new turbocharger. They went on to explain that the fan behaving like it does is the default setting for the fan when there is a fault in the engine. Funnily though, there is no loss of power, no excess smoke coming from the exhaust and no odd noises coming from the engine. The last mechanic to look at my car was dumbfounded when I told him about the turbo needing replacing. I was qouted nearly £1900 by Peugeot to supply and fit one. With no obvious symptoms, I'm reluctant to spend that sort of money when everyones idea of repairing the fan seems to be no better than an educated guess.

Mrrcz

Reaction score
it seems the diesel RCZ is a lot more reliable than petrol RCZ. I've had my 2.0 hdi almost 2 years and only had two minor problems, squeaky brakes and a fuse for Window washer blowing when windscreen washer freeze

Pedro

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem with the fan in my car which I've owned for 2yrs. I first renewed the temp sensor and that cured it...for about 3 weeks. Since then, whenever I get the car serviced or MOT'd, I ask whatever garage to sort the fan problem out. Anything they do lasts about a week on average. It's so frustrating. What I chose to do, after owning the car a couple of months, was to remove the fuse operating the fan. The car doesn't overheat, even in the summer. The only drawbacks are no air con and a reminder, every time I start the vehicle, that I have an engine fault. No problem for me and better than a flat battery. I was recently advised to approach an auto electrician about the fan problem. He said it sounded like my car may need a software update. So I went to Peugeot who said they would perform a diagnostic test which would update the software. The cost was £99. They assure me the software is now up to date but I need a new turbocharger. They went on to explain that the fan behaving like it does is the default setting for the fan when there is a fault in the engine. Funnily though, there is no loss of power, no excess smoke coming from the exhaust and no odd noises coming from the engine. The last mechanic to look at my car was dumbfounded when I told him about the turbo needing replacing. I was qouted nearly £1900 by Peugeot to supply and fit one. With no obvious symptoms, I'm reluctant to spend that sort of money when everyones idea of repairing the fan seems to be no better than an educated guess.
The Fan only kicks in to stop the Engine overheating & on these cars if you thrash it from cold start this can also trigger the fan so it must be mainly coolant related I have heard the dealers change the Temp sensor & or coolant Tank & this appears to cure the issue however the ECU will throw the fan on if a system circuit has malfunctioned or there is a wiring problem so its swings & roundabouts as to where the fault actually is coming from if your turbo was cooked its no boost & engine light plus a bad idle etc

tabpops

Reaction score
The Fan only kicks in to stop the Engine overheating & on these cars if you thrash it from cold start this can also trigger the fan so it must be mainly coolant related I have heard the dealers change the Temp sensor & or coolant Tank & this appears to cure the issue however the ECU will throw the fan on if a system circuit has malfunctioned or there is a wiring problem so its swings & roundabouts as to where the fault actually is coming from if your turbo was cooked its no boost & engine light plus a bad idle etc
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't going to give Peugeot £1900 unless I was 100% certain they were right. As you say, if the turbo was cooked, I would expect other signs and symptoms than the fan staying on. Especially when the car drives the same as it did when I bought it 2yrs ago. What chance have we got when Peugeot can't diagnose problems in their own cars???

Pedro

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't going to give Peugeot £1900 unless I was 100% certain they were right. As you say, if the turbo was cooked, I would expect other signs and symptoms than the fan staying on. Especially when the car drives the same as it did when I bought it 2yrs ago. What chance have we got when Peugeot can't diagnose problems in their own cars???
Better the devil you know & a MD will tell you your car is white when in fact its black so when it comes to making fast money I think they truly believe everyone is so gullible & ready to spend £100s or a few £1000 on wrongly diagnosed faults because they are labelled a technician & wear a Peugeot badge on their overalls therefore they must be 100% correct when in fact dealer workshop teams are just mechanics who fix the faults most owners with a bit of DIY mechanical skills can do themselves ?