What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Exhaust fumes in cabin

UncleBen

Reaction score
I'm wondering if maybe I put this in the wrong section, so just trying here.

Hi all, just asking if anyone knows where the cabin air exit vents are?
The care has recently developed an issue, at speeds bellow around 45mph with windows closed I have a very strong diesel exhaust smell, so strong that I have to open both windows. This only happens if I have the ventilation system on re circulate, blower on or off, as soon as I take it off of re circulate the smell starts to go.
I have checked all the door and boot seals, bulk head grommets ect and as far as I can tell these are in very good condition and in place. No work has recently been done and no accidents or bangs/scrapes underneath.
Since buying the car I have covered just under 6k mls and its only recently that this has begun.
The only thing that comes to mind are the cabin air exit vents and if perhaps the rubber flap is slightly folded over or stuck. I have also checked the exhaust system for leaks and again this is all sound, which again leads me to think that exhaust may be getting drawn in through one of these vents if at the rear of the vehicle. My car has the quads fitted so I have exiting fumes on both side of the car.
Anyone who has a detailed understanding of the ventilation system might be able to work out what's going on.
Has anyone come across this before or heard similar? It really is not nice or healthy and when stuck in traffic the re circ is a must.
Thanks in advance guys.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried a search of old posts this may bring something up?
Good luck let us know if you sort it out as it will help others in the future :thumbup:

UncleBen

Reaction score
neilgsxr69 said:
Have you tried a search of old posts this may bring something up?
Good luck let us know if you sort it out as it will help others in the future :thumbup:
Hi and thanks. Yes my search through the forum continues but nothing yet.
Ill post if I come up with anything.

MasterDomino

Reaction score
This is caused by leaky injector seals look at my post on general technical viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13103
Which has photos of how my common rail looked like, a replacement seals is around 5£ i guess, replacing isnt hard but needs fiddling and some tool making(welder is enough), also you would need dynamometric wrench and possibly a looooot of brake cleaner if you need more help contact me through dms or through email: [email protected]

UncleBen

Reaction score
MasterDomino said:
This is caused by leaky injector seals look at my post on general technical viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13103
Which has photos of how my common rail looked like, a replacement seals is around 5£ i guess, replacing isnt hard but needs fiddling and some tool making(welder is enough), also you would need dynamometric wrench and possibly a looooot of brake cleaner if you need more help contact me through dms or through email: [email protected]
That's interesting, looking at your pictures its a terrible gooey mess, I had my engine cover off the other day and it is completely clean and dry, but after what you've said and shown, I will also pull off the injector cover and make a more detailed inspection. I really hope that's the issue, the fumes are very bad at times. Ill post once I get to look at this.
Thanks for the info

MasterDomino

Reaction score
Yes mine is like this most likely due to some (idiot)user driving it for too long without replacing which caused a blowby which hence created this gooey mess from unburned diesel and exhaust fumes. The injector seals and insulators are not expensive and if they are not stuck are easy to pull out by just rattling them out, if they are not buy a cheap paintless dent removal tool on aliexpress with the funny hammer style thingie and produce a small socket for it iirc it was 14m you can find on transit van wheels. By welding a bit my dad was able to make his own tool that pulled the stuck injector off, here in poland the seals were 40pln which is equal to smth like 8£ with insulators, cheap fix for a real issue. Next thing i suggest if the common rail cover has its seal nice and squishy, if its hard and falling apart buy a new cover which is smth like 20£, also its not worth the time to ask mechanics about the injectors cuz all they do us say ridiculous prices for it, if you have some spare time its relatively easy job, DO NOT RUSH is the only important part, if you work on the injectors its also important to unplug the battery, wait a few minutes and then start unscrewing things, if you fix it and your engine is misfiring just drive out on some road and purge the injector by driving really hard on second gear(make a few pulls and some full throttle action) dont worry it wont hurt your baby ;)

EDIT: As of now i suggest not to drive your baby to avoid any possible damage, to make sure whatever is happening unscrew the commonrail cover and start the car search for the fumes and smell, any hint of unburned fuel or leaks should instantly turn your attention, best would be if you posted some pictures of it(use google drive for example if its easier for you, as the forum doesnt allow for big pictures to be uploaded). waiting for updates.

EDIT2: If not already done i actually suggest to buy lexia cable on amazon/aliexpress and get the diagbox installed soo you can delete any and all errors that might be caused by any work you do, they are quite cheap in around smth like 70£ iirc

UncleBen

Reaction score
MasterDomino said:
Yes mine is like this most likely due to some (idiot)user driving it for too long without replacing which caused a blowby which hence created this gooey mess from unburned diesel and exhaust fumes. The injector seals and insulators are not expensive and if they are not stuck are easy to pull out by just rattling them out, if they are not buy a cheap paintless dent removal tool on aliexpress with the funny hammer style thingie and produce a small socket for it iirc it was 14m you can find on transit van wheels. By welding a bit my dad was able to make his own tool that pulled the stuck injector off, here in poland the seals were 40pln which is equal to smth like 8£ with insulators, cheap fix for a real issue. Next thing i suggest if the common rail cover has its seal nice and squishy, if its hard and falling apart buy a new cover which is smth like 20£, also its not worth the time to ask mechanics about the injectors cuz all they do us say ridiculous prices for it, if you have some spare time its relatively easy job, DO NOT RUSH is the only important part, if you work on the injectors its also important to unplug the battery, wait a few minutes and then start unscrewing things, if you fix it and your engine is misfiring just drive out on some road and purge the injector by driving really hard on second gear(make a few pulls and some full throttle action) dont worry it wont hurt your baby ;)

EDIT: As of now i suggest not to drive your baby to avoid any possible damage, to make sure whatever is happening unscrew the commonrail cover and start the car search for the fumes and smell, any hint of unburned fuel or leaks should instantly turn your attention, best would be if you posted some pictures of it(use google drive for example if its easier for you, as the forum doesnt allow for big pictures to be uploaded). waiting for updates.

EDIT2: If not already done i actually suggest to buy lexia cable on amazon/aliexpress and get the diagbox installed soo you can delete any and all errors that might be caused by any work you do, they are quite cheap in around smth like 70£ iirc
That's great info and advice, thanks. Just need to find some time now to open it up and check, hopefully soon!

Pedro

Reaction score
I have a petrol RCZ with a sicky smell. Causes horrendous headache any thoughts
"Bad Eggs?" Buy a tin of Normfest Viro air freshener & follow the instructions on the tin you spray into the air vents whilst car is running leaving the air recirculation on full if the smell reappears it may be air con needs regassing also the exhaust cat can cause the same smell just changed one on a fiat & smell has completely gone?

Marmite

Reaction score
I had this with mine I was getting what smelt like exhaust fumes in the cabin an I eventually tracked it down to a recirculating breather pipe had come detached from the turbo intake hose ? The only difference is mine is a petrol so I might be way of the mark ?