What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine misfire

Speedypuff

Reaction score
Hi guys having a bit of an issue wonder if anyone can help .
I have a 2013 1.6 turbo with 62,000 on the clock only mods I have are external blow off valve and a back box delete set up .
the issue Im having is now and again in 1st gear mostly when driving slowly in the mornings I would open the throttle slightly before changing gear I would lose power slightly engine light comes on and it misfires on 3 cylinders or that’s what it sounds like and it would limp along .... I would pull over turn off engine and turn back on and it runs perfectly after that . when engine is off it sounds like fan is running hard and fast .... any thoughts ?

Kerr

Reaction score
You'll need to get a fault code reader to start with.

I've got a Mini Clubman S with the same engine. It can be a bit stuttery from a cold start. Putting 100ml of Millers Oil fuel additive to a tank stopped it happening.

Your car sounds a bit more when the car is throwing an EML.

When was the last time you took the car on a long trip? Has it being doing lots of short trips?

Speedypuff

Reaction score
There is a slight oil leak on rocker cover wonder could that be part of it . Was thinking of upgrading the leads on it too ,
I drive it to and from work 45 minutes each way mostly back roads.. it hasn’t gotten much motorway driving latel ..

Pedro

Reaction score
Your mods may be causing issues with Fuel/Air ratios etc When you cold start the ECU reads the outside temp & calibrates how much Fuel to Air is needed to run the correct combustion cycle before the engine warms up but as you say the fan is coming on full means that the ECU has possibly detected the temp is too high thus triggering the fan to stop overheating another odd one to watch out for is if your try to thrash these engines from cold the fan kicks in because the coolant system is electronicky controlled by the ECU & water pump

Speedypuff

Reaction score
I dont think the mods come into play in this situation . I have the car nearly two years with these mods and only recently this has started happening . I have a feeling it could be more related towards spark leads or coil breaking down as I am lloosing a cylinder during this then I pull over , turn off engine and restart and it’s back to normal after that . . I always allow the engine to warm up every time before leaving my driveway too So I am taking precautions and not thrashing it like you can a Honda lol .

Pedro

Reaction score
Don't assume the obvious the Coil packs if original are long life so they may not be the culprit as for plugs well maybe but you need to scan the ECU paying attention to the fuel trims as a dying Pump will affect acceleration & cold running & as Wilsofar stated it may well be fuel related
If you decide to change the coil packs & plugs its recommended all 4 are changed together so its can be a slightly costly business but may not solve the issue so I would make absolutely certain what is causing the problem firsthand thus saving you money

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Sadly, it’s been 2 years since the OP has been back here. All too familiar where advice is given, but no outcome is reported.

You really need to get the fault codes, this will point you in the right direction.

As Pedro & Wilsofar said at the time, the usual suspects in these cases are coil packs, HPFP, possibly plugs, and then of course it could be leads breaking down, fuel contaminants etc etc.

This is why fault codes are very helpful to know which direction to go.

when I had a similar issue, replacing the coil packs & plugs didn’t solve it, so replacing the fuel rails & HPFP sorted it.

teo.mike

Reaction score
Thanks,man. No error code, only "misfire 3 cilinders" and red screen with engine fault, plus shaking badly. Erase the error, no further errors, car goes ok. Till tomorrow morning, you know

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
If you change coil pack from one that is working fine then swap it to number 3 if the same thing happens its down to the hpfp

lfe

Reaction score
If, apart from the misfire error codes, the famous P0087 code also occasionally appears, then the problem is in the HPFP.

teo.mike

Reaction score
Misfire 3 cylinders, not cylinder 3. It also feels an unburned fuel smell (I can feel it even inside the car).
Aniway, I will change the HPFP because the car is about 170 000 km and it was never changed

Pedro

Reaction score
Looks like Its not firing properly? Plugs/ coil packs or injector poss timing issues I would also measure the fuel pressure & fuel trims

teo.mike

Reaction score
Only when the engine si cold, and olny for few minutes/kilometers. After that, the engine works very well

teo.mike

Reaction score
Tomorrow they want to change the rocker cover, but I'm sure I changed it last year. We will see