What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine fault - repair required

A

Anonymous

Driving along the M8 to Glasgow today and around 5 miles from my destination the above message came flashing up "ENGINE FAULT - REPAIR REQUIRED" along with the amber engine light on the dash board so of course I pulled over onto the hard shoulder. I got out and checked out all the levels on the car, coolant fine, oil fine, no obvious leaks coming from anywhere. Temperature guage was fine too and limp mode hadn't come on so i rationalised with myself that it would be ok to drive the couple of miles to my destination. Took it nice and easy at 50mph and got there no bother.

A couple of days previous with the good weather I had noticed that the car was a bit laggy in the higher gears at times and when in cruise control doing 70mph in 6th gear uphill it would sometimes drop below 70 and even with my foot to the floor on the accelerator it would stay around the 65mph mark.

I'll be booking it into a garage tomorrow to get them to take a look at it but anyone had any similar issues?

A

Anonymous

Hey

How old is your car? Mine did this and it was a slacking timing belt.

A

Anonymous

Coming up on 2 years, around 13500 miles (8000 of those being mine)

I'll get them to check the tension on the chain

A

Anonymous

Bloody hell, are there no good dealerships in the peugeot network in the central belt of Scotland?!?!? I shall keep names to myself for the time being but if anyone wants to know specifics then PM me.

Phoned up one, they said they would look at it but didn't have an courtesy cars for 2 weeks. I asked if I could use a demonstrator then for the day but the guy in the service dept wouldn't bother himself to go ask the sales guys if it would be possible. I also got a sarcastic response when I suggested that the engine timing or turbo might be the answer over the phone but decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and drove down as it was the closest one to me.

I arrived and had to wait 10 minutes whilst the 3 guys at the service desk tapped on their computers, granted one was talking to a customer but the others weren't bothering themselves with me. Before I sign anything I got told that if there wasn't a manufacturers issue then I would be charged £89 for the privilage of having my car plugged into a diagnostic computer. At that point along with the general feeling I got from the place I told them to shove it and drove off. I won't ever be going back there.

I get home and start calling a few others. The best response I got was "An RCZ? What's that?". Bearing in mind that this place was marked down as being an official peugeot dealership!

I finally found another and the person I spoke to told me that they didn't have a courtesy car available until Thursday at the earliest. I decided to put it in with them today and I'll take the courtesy car on Thursday if i need to if the car isn't repaired in time. Got a much better feeling from the general atmosphere in there and it was noted that I didn't want my car cleaned at all (I'm a bit anal that way thanks to this forum!).

This in addition to me having to deal with a poor dealership in Edinburgh makes me wonder if there is such a thing as a good dealership that doesn't make you feel like you are being taken for a ride!

A

Anonymous

Sadly forum rules stop me from naming and shaming as much as I would love to. As I said, if people are interested for whatever reason pm me and I'll let you know

A

Anonymous

Well I got the car back this afternoon.

I asked for details on the issue and got nothing beyond "it was a software problem" which they have resolved by updating the software in the car. Even when I asked for the specific error code I wasn't given anything but was sold the positives of going to an official dealership to get all the wonderful chocolate covered software upgrades that may be required down the line.

Now this bugs me, there is nothing in the service recommendations that says I should go get the software updated periodically and yet it can cause just as much of an issue as if I leave the oil too long before changes and yet there is sod all I can do about it.

To the dealerships credit that I dealt with they didn't clean my car as I asked even though the front was covered in bugs (I'll get those myself when the weather cools down enough to clean it properly) and I was taken through the step by step checks that they had done.

They also had an asphault model on the cheap in the show room (around £23500 ish) which I asked about but the girl I spoke to knew nothing about it. I'm not overly sold on the interior of it!

As I'm not allowed to name and shame I'm not going to bother naming and faming either as I don't see why I should. If anyone is looking for a big dealership in Glasgow to deal with then drop me a PM and I can pass on their info.

A

Anonymous

I asked that the software on Pearl2 was updated at the interim service. Sadly they didn't do it. I sincerely hope that my car does not suffer any ill effects due to them not doing so. Why wouldn't a main dealer do such updates as a matter of course, anyway? But not to even when requested to do so :thumbdown:
Better not name and shame that lovely dealership :roll:

A

Anonymous

I can't fathom why we are not informed of software upgrades. Surely this could be done easily enough through the 'mypeugeot' site or by email? Apple are constantly informing of software updates and I can't understand the difficulty for a dealership to keep us equally informed...they have all our contact details anyway!!

That's also additionally shocking to be completely unable to tell you anything about the asphalt...apparently they aren't that bothered about selling it then...?!

A

Anonymous

This sounds like one of the (sadly all too many) classic THP problems - timing out due to a stretched camchain and/or weak tensioner. Loads of THP owners in other PSA vehicles have had this problem. Just check out the Citroen DS3 forums. Hopefully a new camchain & tensioner will fix it. If not, you're in for a world of pain.