What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine Fault - Repair Needed - High Pressure Fuel Pump

Chumpfry1

Reaction score
So I will walk through the symptoms I experienced with what eventually turned out to be the High Pressure Fuel Pump failing (2011, 200THP, 59K miles). Started the engine and straight away pulling away there was no power, almost like the turbo had been turned off. This has been referred to Limp Home Mode. I did then get the above message. Pulled over and stopped the car. Turned ignition off and on again and engine fired up normally. Fault was diagnosed by main dealer. The following error codes were listed - P0087 Fuel Circuit: The pressure measured in the injection rail is less than the setting, P0234 Turbo Charging Circuit : Pressure Too High, P2263 - Turbo Charging Air Circuit: Pressure Too High.
This continued to be an intermittent problem for a number of months, sometimes with engine firing up normally, sometimes not, with a cough and splutter, sometimes dying (with associated error message) but able to start/stop engine to partially reset. It was almost like the High Pressure Fuel Pump was getting a bit stuck and wouldn't spin on occasion. Unfortunately, I had to finally bite the bullet and get this replaced, as it really isn't good for the engine. The part is expensive (£400-£500 minimum but mechanic did well to ring round to get best price)
Apparently this is a very common fault and part to wear out on these PRINCE engines, and is not confined to RCZ models.
Check out this crazy German guy with the same problem and how to replace yourself. Check PSA part number of the high pressure fuel pump: 98 199 385 80

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, I’m sure that’s going to help owners in the future who will undoubtedly suffer the same issue.👍

Byzance51

Reaction score
Is there a upgrade pump available, if this is a common problem and has to be changed?

Kerr

Reaction score
Is there a upgrade pump available, if this is a common problem and has to be changed?

It's a very common issue. You should get warning signs when it's about to fail.

There is a trader on eBay that will refurbish your pump for around £150.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there an upgrade pump available, if this is a common problem and has to be changed?
I believe Peugeot now offer an upgraded part as well as the old one which why were seeing conflicting prices for the pump