What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

END OF DIPSTICK STUCK

marc0079

Reaction score
Hi there all new to this i just checked my oil in my RCZ and about 3" of the dip stick snapped of in the bottom of the tube but its still in there in the tube its the spring looking dipstick vey thick one,so i bought the thin plastic end one it goes in past the old one but i can not get a propper reading of what oil is in there ,can any one tell me the best way to get the oil end out i was thinking a long flexible magnetic tool ,thanks marc

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Maybe a long piece of wire with the end bent up like a hook shape?

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Just be careful as the dipstick passes through the timing chain guide the last thing you want is to damage that! What about trying to measure your dipstick against a piece of thin steel rod and take a reading off that?

marc0079

Reaction score
Just be careful as the dipstick passes through the timing chain guide the last thing you want is to damage that! What about trying to measure your dipstick against a piece of thin steel rod and take a reading off that?
Just what to get it out

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
If it broke off I doubt your going to get it out it’s a matter of either pushing it in or leaving it where it is and try and get by it to check level?
How far down do you think it broke off?

marc0079

Reaction score
Its at the bottom about 3inch can not get a proper oil measurement with the new thin dipstick

marc0079

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting one of them flexible magnetic screw drivers

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
You could try that I suppose but for it to break off I would have thought it’s stuck in there and the magnet may not be strong enough, worth a try though good luck let us know how you get on

CS22

Reaction score
Hi there all new to this i just checked my oil in my RCZ and about 3" of the dip stick snapped of in the bottom of the tube but its still in there in the tube its the spring looking dipstick vey thick one,so i bought the thin plastic end one it goes in past the old one but i can not get a propper reading of what oil is in there ,can any one tell me the best way to get the oil end out i was thinking a long flexible magnetic tool ,thanks marc
Hi Marc . Not such a huge problem. I drove a merc clk 320 coupe before I got my rcz. With merc its good practice to use a vacuum pump and suck the oil out of the dip stick . I tried this on my rcz and the pipe got stuck at the bottom of the dip stick tube and eventually snapped a bit of the same problem. I went into panic mode not noting the rcz so well. So I dropped the sump not really a problem apart from two bolts above the exhaust pipe a bit fiddly but manageable. You have good access to the bottom of the dip stick and I retrieved the piece of pipe from the bottom . The sump has no gasket just silicone sealant and there is ok clearance to manoeuvre the sump in and out.

marc0079

Reaction score
Right heads up on my dipstick snapping of ,,,,well not long had the car looked at dipstick and the end was missing WELLL
TUCK car to garage he tuck sump of and found part of the timing belt tension er was stuck right at the bottom of the tube ,,,so now its clear and now i need to get my timing chain and tensioner and guides doing at a coast of 450

Pedro

Reaction score
Right heads up on my dipstick snapping of ,,,,well not long had the car looked at dipstick and the end was missing WELLL
TUCK car to garage he tuck sump of and found part of the timing belt tension er was stuck right at the bottom of the tube ,,,so now its clear and now i need to get my timing chain and tensioner and guides doing at a coast of 450
I feel sorry for you mate I don't know your cars history but I would suspect that happened as a result of bad service practice "Oil Changes etc "
I have read of this before a few years ago on a BMW Tech Data sheet which referred to the service patterns of these Engines one of the failure issues with the Prince Engines is the chain stretches out to its max of 68 mm (By then its knackered together with the tensioner ) causing a whiplash effect on the top rail guide every time the Engine starts because there is no oil barrier between the chain & rail guide in the rocker cover until full oil pressure is reached which smashes it to bits hence all the debris is carried into the sump which results in a strip down

marc0079

Reaction score
Well pedro i have warranty on it so all good so far lol lol but thanks for all the feed back