What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Dreaded fan coming on.

Trevparamedic

Reaction score
Hi all, I bought the wife a 2011 Grey RCZ and she loves it, would love it even more if she could drive the damn thing.
My problem is, within seconds of starting the engine the dreaded STOP lights up, the temperature guage has shot up to max so fast I'm surprised it hasn't hit the fuel guage and finally the fan kicks in sounding like an air ambulance coming in to land. Treatment so far: new thermostat housing incorporating temp sender and thermostat, new "y" cable. I can't see any physical damage to the cables, please help.
I've attached photos of the OBD error codes.
This is my first entry on your superb forum, sorry its so long.
Thanks in advance.
Trev20211104_140240.jpg20211104_140100.jpg

Pedro

Reaction score
Fan on full usually accounts for coolant/temp issue check plugin & wiring to the tank as it may be an open circuit usually if the temp goes to max its the sensor not responding to the ECU signals hence fan blows its head off to stop the Engine overheating
When you fitted the Tank was the coolant level allowed to settle by gravity to disperse any "Air locks" some Peugeot dealers do sometimes leave them overnight when this job is completed to allow the Air to fully escape the system

Trevparamedic

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Pedro, I presume you mean header tank? I didn't replace that but I did bleed all the air out when I replaced the coolant.
I get the same Ohm reading on the old and brand new temp sensor so that should rule that out. On a cold engine the OBD reader says that the coolant temperature is 140 degrees Fahrenheit, I presume that is the trigger for the fault.

Pedro

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Pedro, I presume you mean header tank? I didn't replace that but I did bleed all the air out when I replaced the coolant.
I get the same Ohm reading on the old and brand new temp sensor so that should rule that out. On a cold engine the OBD reader says that the coolant temperature is 140 degrees Fahrenheit, I presume that is the trigger for the fault.
Sorry I should have referred to the tank that houses the thermostat sensor not meant to infer its the header/filler tank!
That 140 degrees could be triggering the fan but to send it to max may be a wiring issue you could almost say there is no resistance?

Trevparamedic

Reaction score
Pedro, would you believe it, it was a faulty water temperature sender unit which was fitted in the brand new thermostat housing.
Thanks again
Trev

Pedro

Reaction score
Yes Trev I do believe you good to see your sorted I ordered 2 thermostat tanks off ebay & both were the wrong ones but crosshatched OEM numbers from original despite sending the vin No! Crazy world we live in too many patterned parts made in Foreign climes 😃