What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Do I need a new clutch?!

Maldini40

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Hope you might be able to help me. Got a 200 GT 61 plate and it's is really hard to get it into any gear. The biting point is almost on the floor and the clutch pedal seems to stick momentarily before it releases when I change gear.

Have just taken my Z for an MOT and asked them to check it out as I wasn't sure it was the gearbox. The mechanic said they couldn't get into it to look at it thoroughly as they really only do MOTs and services but says it's definitely clutch. I've only done 50k.

Do you think I need a new clutch? If I do what kind of price am I looking at. Or could it be something to do with the clutch but I may not need to get a new one, hopefully saving me some money?

Thanks in advance for any advice help you can offer. And big apologies for the long post!!!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Can’t really help on the diagnosis, it does sound like clutch related though, not transmission, if it’s done though a Pug dealer it’s going to be in the region of £1600 I’m afraid.

Maldini40

Reaction score
DKZ thanks for the quick reply. I knew a new one would be expensive, but ouch not that much!!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Recently had mine replaced, under warranty thankfully, they originally quoted me £1671 but the invoice to the warranty company was £1590. That was for the full kit, including clutch plate & dmf etc. Labour was the largest part of that.

Maldini40

Reaction score
Right, just had the clutch master cylinder changed and this has stopped the clutch deal sticking and the biting point has gone back to the normal position. But changing is gear is still 'notch' and sometimes I still have to go into neutral before it slips properly into gear.

The garage says it doesn't think the problem is the clutch but other than taking the clutch out/gearbox and having changed the master cylinder, there isn't anything else left to change. Anyone got any ideas why the car is struggling to change gear so much???? :brickwall: This is so frustrating. Have already had to have a high pressure fuel rail replaced last year, plus a load of other bits since I've had the car....thinking I may just sell it as it really takes the pleasure away of what is a great car (when its working properly!!)

Thanks

RCZ-R

Reaction score
You can give it a try with gearbox oil change. Let them change the oil in the gearbox and then watch if it improves. Would be the cheapest solution so far.

If it doesn't help then I'm afraid the clutch pressure plate is weaken and this is causing those problems when decoupling the gearbox from the engine while changing the gears. The consequence would be then to replace the whole clutch.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
When you get the gearbox oil changed try redline fully synthetic oil I’ve heard it makes a noticeable difference to gear changes. Not cheap though but worth a try. :thumbup:

tianorth

Reaction score
I've had my gearbox oil changed at about 50k on my HDi, the difference is very noticeable.
No more 2nd try to get in some gears, it is really smooth to change gears, etc. it is a pleasure to change gear, more than it was previously.
When my RCZ-R goes to get a service I'm going to get the gearbox oil changed on that as well.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
The gearbox oil in a manual is easy. Took me 20/30 minutes. Including making and drinking a mug of tea.

Just remember to dispose of the old oil correctly.

Maldini40

Reaction score
All, thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I'll give the gearbox oil change a try to begin with to see if that makes a difference. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

Maldini40

Reaction score
Just thought I'd give you a little update - just spoke to the garage where I would be taking the car. mentioned the gearbox oil change as a possibility and he said it wouldn't be that purely because at times (for brief periods) the gear changes are fine, really smooth - this doesn't last long however :roll: He said it being about an engagement issue in the clutch because of this reason. Have booked it in for a clutch change.

Any thoughts?

Woodso

Reaction score
I have having an issue with the gear change in that when the car is cold, the gear change is notchy, especially 1st - 2nd, yet when it gets warm, it is OK. Is it just the Gearbox Oil?

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Woodso said:
I have having an issue with the gear change in that when the car is cold, the gear change is notchy, especially 1st - 2nd, yet when it gets warm, it is OK. Is it just the Gearbox Oil?

Most probably :eusa-think: the gearbox oil is supposedly a lifetime fill, but many owners have changed their gearbox oil and it has definitely needed it, obviously it depends on mileage and I have seen reports that some gearboxes were under filled from new. There is a guy called Motorscotti on YouTube who shows how to do this job and how the old oil looks compared to the new. :beer: