What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Dipstick tip is missing!.

Bills RCZ

Reaction score
Hello!. I was wondering if anyone has ever had the plastic dipstick tip come off before. I took my car in for all fluids and filters as I do every 5k. My mechanic ( a very trusted friend) called me up and told me after the oil change he had tried to confirm the level and the plastic tip isn’t there. Has this happened to anyone here?. I called Peugeot and the head mechanic in Harrogate told me that on replacing an oil pan gasket in another RCZ, he found 2 tips in the oil pan?!?!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Yes, I’ve read of this happening a few times on here. I have the “spring” metal type, so no problems other than it not being the easiest to read levels, but I guess it’s easier to read than one with the tip missing 🤔

I think @Verminator had that very problem, so he might be along shortly to offer advice 😐

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I did have this happen to me was very concerned about the fact it was missing but was told that the end won't go anywhere it will stay in pan so replaced it with a new one..... Have had several oil changes since

Rczwales77

Reaction score
Happened to me after purchasing my z last July after having a full service prior to collecting, only plastic top part there, car went back but them my sump was badly leaking oil so my local mechanic noticed sump screws were very loose took pan out scrape and cleaned pan and engine block used proper sealent to which other garage did NOT do but did take broken dipstick out, forgot to re seal properly, quick job cowboy mechanics, anyway my z is now oil leak free since last September, I think you should be a little careful whilst pulling dipstick out you should be fine👍

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes very common problem the broken tip or tips in some cases won’t harm anything I don’t know why the Diesel is plastic and the petrol metal 🤔

DKZ5745

Reaction score
There’s a very good reason for that.

Sadly, I don’t know what it is either 🤔🥴

Pedro

Reaction score
The Audi TT dipsticks were known to capitulate into lots of tiny pieces in the bottom of the their sumps causing lots of massive £ signs to appear for the owners who were unfortunate to experience the issue
The problem with plastic sticks is despite their high melting point they go very brittle over time & they either detonate or the ends snap off but they are fitted because manufacturers state they make easy reading when checking the oil level whether that goes primarily for diesels is debatable as for the metal ones in the petrol engine it was suggested by my parts manager contact in the local Pug garage it was something to do with the stick negotiating the "suds tray" in the sump on the petrol engines?

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the petrol ones are designed so because it passes through the plastic chain guide 🤔

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Or just by some sadistic French guy so that they’re almost impossible to read 🤦‍♂️

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Or just by some sadistic French guy so that they’re almost impossible to read 🤦‍♂️
I’ve just bought a replacement that’s exactly the same length which is easier to read I wouldn’t use it all the time just to check level 409D5859-7B28-4204-A04C-D037BC71AA19.jpeg3AD0D053-A149-4EA3-98C3-2D5796F19FD2.jpeg6B3CB030-6F25-4DC8-8A08-3B4E733EE4A8.jpeg52C7F5F4-DA9E-4683-98E2-A7F79378BF4A.jpeg0FD4B1C6-E0AE-4989-95C9-9EA032DD4880.jpeg

Rich

Reaction score
The thing to watch out for is when removing the dipstick, if you feel some resistance, try turning the dipstick as you gently draw it out to check the oil.
Mine broke off in my 2014 diesel. It does sink and stay at the bottom of the sump but will not drain with the oil. Even though there are filters to protect the engine I opted to have the broken off piece removed by my local garage whilst in for service and fitted a new dipstick.

1955drr

Reaction score
Thank you for this timely post, I did a full service on mine yesterday and found reading the dipstick nigh on impossible, after many attempts I was finally satisfied it was up to the mark. One of these replacements is on its way so I can be sure! Just over 4 litres went in.

Pedro

Reaction score
Thank you for this timely post, I did a full service on mine yesterday and found reading the dipstick nigh on impossible, after many attempts I was finally satisfied it was up to the mark. One of these replacements is on its way so I can be sure! Just over 4 litres went in.
Sealey 5 Ltr oil jug has scaled measurement's on each side just fill it to 4.25 then refill engine & its done & dusted