What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Dead battery

Reaction score
Had a dead battery on one of the Z's yesterday.

After getting my head round the no need for a negative terminal to jump lead (messed with my mind that did) and watching a few vids on removing endless bits of plastic and air filter pipes I used my AA membership for the first time in 10 years.

20 minutes later a new battery and a 4 year guarantee in place for £117 while I sat in the house watching the footy in the warm. Learning point is when about to fiddle with your car in the freezing cold check out all the alternatives first.

:D

tianorth

Reaction score
From the manual there is a negative terminal near the radiator.

Reaction score
It's covered by a million pieces of plastic/wires and guarded by 3 dragons, to stop you using it and screwing the Ecu up apparently.

Point C on the bodywork replaces it. The bit that messes with your head is when you jump a Z with another Z and have 2 point C's and no negative access.

:crazy:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The starting procedure in that case is.....

Park at the top of a reasonably steep hill, turn on ignition, engage 2nd gear, depress clutch & release handbrake. At @ 5-10 mph, release clutch, smile, & drive into the distance ;)

tianorth

Reaction score
Cuore Sportivo said:
Point C on the bodywork replaces it. The bit that messes with your head is when you jump a Z with another Z and have 2 point C's and no negative access.

:crazy:

But that's the point.

Point C is connected remotely to the negative of the battery.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Not meant to be offensive, but what point are you trying to make?

The starter motor will be earthed to the body, via an engine earth strap, then the body earthed to the battery.

In actual fact, earthing the external 'starter' battery to the point indicated in the diagram is probably equivalent or perhaps slightly better than attaching directly to the negative terminal of the battery. Don't forget also that the cables used to connect the external battery to the car (jump leads) also introduce losses.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I think that his point was that he thought the donor battery had to have jump leads connected to the actual terminals, regardless of where they attached to the dead car.

The point Chris is making is that you only need the positive lead battery to battery, if it's a Z starting a Z, point C to point C is fine for the negative lead.

At this point the OP will probably jump in explain that's not what he meant at all ;)

Reaction score
Spot on DK.

Apologies for not being as technically proficient as some.

:D

Flanners

Reaction score
This post helped me attach a trickle charger in the garage after wondering where the -ve terminal was, cheers.

chrismac

Reaction score
After getting my head round the no need for a negative terminal to jump lead (messed with my mind that did) and watching a few vids on removing endless bits of plastic and air filter pipes I used my AA membership for the first time in 10 years.

20 minutes later a new battery and a 4 year guarantee in place for £117 while I sat in the house watching the footy in the warm. Learning point is when about to fiddle with your car in the freezing cold check out all the alternatives first.

A young man at Halfords did a battery change for me. I thought he was going to need a hammer and chisel to remove the plastic cover from the battery. Took 2 blokes 15 minutes to finally do it.

I'm with Cuore Sportive - Watch footy and let someone else do the hard work.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
chrismac said:

A young man at Halfords did a battery change for me. I thought he was going to need a hammer and chisel to remove the plastic cover from the battery. Took 2 blokes 15 minutes to finally do it.

I'm with Cuore Sportive - Watch footy and let someone else do the hard work.

Unless of course they are Neanderthal man who attempt to remove parts using hammers and chisels :shock: :eek:

Morkstermork

Reaction score
I need to change the battery to my Z, any advice on how do it at all?

bottlecollector

Reaction score
My RCZ battery went dead luckily whilst parked on my driveway . Got the RAC out and it needed new battery and what a job he had, he had not done a RCZ one before. Took him ages and I could not believe how hard it would be to replace it so unless you are really confident I would get someone else to do it for you