What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Dashcam - Installation of K1S (KOONLUNG)

tianorth

Reaction score
This is a 2 camera system that records to 1 unit, recording both to 1 micro sd card.

This is the way I installed it.

I started by removing the other camera system, this facilitated in removing the passenger side A pillar cover, B pillar cover and loosen the rear arch cover this allows the headlining to be accessed to route cables.

I first put the camera and gps unit in rough position and started to route the cables.

Then with the headlining lose I routed the cables to the A pillar. Did same for rear camera. (if need be remove the sun blind and screws)

Routed cables down the A pillar as use the twist ties that held the camera cables

Took the end of the dashboard off

This also give access to the area above fusebox for routing to the glovebox.

Routed cables for the 12v power and the external emergency record button from the centre console area to the glovebox as well

Just thread the cables out the bottom of the console, route over the underside of the glovebox then through the same hole as other cables

Then tuck these cables behind the sides of the console

Just a case of putting all the trims back to how it was (just like I was never there).

Now to place the holder for the unit, I chose the fusebox cover as it's hidden but accessible.
To be able to close the glovebox the unit has to sit in the gap

This takes a bit of fiddling to be able to stick it to the fusebox cover

Once there I removed the unit to leave the bracket, and then using one of the screws supplied, secured it

I put the padding into the bracket then put the replaced the fusebox cover

Just a case of plugging everything in

Then securing the unit into the bracket and put the excess wires back into the fuse area

The last part is to tie wrap the 12v sockets to stop the vibrating apart

Put the emergency record button in place

Then put the trim back ensuring no cables will foul the handbrake mechanism stick the camera and gps to the screen and hide remaining cable.

Once done just check the camera positions and view from the screen on unit.

Look I was never here.

All done.

thornebt

Reaction score
renegade79 said:
Emergency record button?? :eusa-think:

If they are like my dashcams they just switch on and off with the ignition - so every time you are driving they are recording. I believe mine also turn on when the car is hit when parked so although they might take a few seconds to start recording they might capture the culprit driving away.

The value of having GPS on your dashcams is debatable. If you are involved in an accident and the dashcam has recorded you as travelling at 31mph in a 30mph limit the other driver's insurance company will probably claim you are to blame even if it's not your fault. I decided against the GPS option for this reason.

Brilliant post on the installation though and I would strongly recommend anyone fitting dashcams front and rear. They would revolutionise the insurance claim industry if we all had them. Following a taxi reversing into my RCZ and him claiming I drove into the back of him I wouldn't be without them.

Cheers. Bruce.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I agree entirely.

I have dashcams front and rear, although I wasn't as bold as Chris when it comes to installation. (I wasn't confident enough in my own abilities to do that). My front dashcam is hard wired into the fuse box, and the rear is wired into an auxiliary (cigarette lighter) socket I wired into the boot behind the left hand removable panel near the rear lights. This in turn is hard wired into the fuse box.

I managed to tuck all the wires away without going to the extent that Chris did - dismantling half his car ! :eek:

I used two A118 cameras, each records to its own Micro SD card. They have impact sensors, but these only "lock" the recording so that "time section" cannot be overwritten, as the cameras work on a constant loop basis.
As they are wired into ignition controlled power sources, they only work when the cars ignition is on. They both automatically start recording as soon as I start the car.
The rear camera (A118c) which replaced a faulty earlier version, doesn't have an internal battery like the front one, it works using a capacitor, which is supposed to give the camera a longer life than the battery version.

I do feel that the GPS module could work against me more times than for me, which is why I didn't install it. :roll:

I keep meaning to ask my insurers if I qualify for a discount now I have these cameras, but keep forgetting :eusa-think:

I think at some point in the future all cars will have front & rear cameras as an option from new.

Great post by Chris though. Very comprehensive. :thumbup:

tianorth

Reaction score
renegade79 said:
Emergency record button?? :eusa-think:
When an incident happens you press the button and it lock that part of the file so can't be overwritten. (Press the button at start and end I think).

The reason I got cameras is due to someone on a motorway changing lanes in to me and then saying I hit the as I was behind them, took 15 months for them to admit it's was all their fault (and 18hrs before the court appearance).

With this unit you can get the speed to stop displaying at a speed, I think the highest speed is 130 kph (80 mph), but if you want to stop displaying the speed from 25 mph you can.

It also has a program the you run on the pc which then using the gps data overlays it onto various maps, eg Google, street maps etc

Reaction score
Hi,
Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes do offer discounts for a wide range of approved in-car cameras.
Regards,
Dan.