What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Dashcam advice please

ianGT156

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I want to have a dashcam for the front of my car, maybe rear too. I'm not going to spend a fortune on the camera(s), maybe £100 ish, each. I don't really need advice on the camera itself as there are loads of places to find that info. There are somewhat less places to find an idiots guide to installing a hard wired dashcam to an RCZ.

I'm not very confident about permanently wiring this in place although I do have an "A" level in Physics so I'm not a complete buffoon, lol. I also don't really want a Halfords chap doing it for me, unless I have formed a wrong opinion about them. From what I can see, auto-electricians feel that this job is beneath them. Can anybody guide me to some idiot proof instructions? I want the camera to be constantly live for those potential nasties that nobody wants.

I did see a post on here from a regular about installing a 12V socket in the boot. That also sounds marvellous and given the right wiring and parts is something I feel slightly more confident about.

Any advice, good or bad, gratefully appreciated.

Ian.

PS At the date of posting, the forum has been the victim of a spammer, hence the post title. Death to all spammers. :evil: :twisted:

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: NOT SPAM - Dashcam advice please

Piggyback fuse holder, female 12v lighter socket.
About £5 for both delivered tops.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

ianGT156

Reaction score

Iain,

Thanks, that's very useful so far. Don't forget I'm an idiot though! Which fuse socket would you plug the piggyback fuseholder into? The rear lighter socket, I have the same question. Presumably something that is on the battery side of the circuit? I can't think of an obvious one that wouldn't be affected by the dreaded "economy mode"? Yes, I am that stupid!

The parts are certainly very cheap but it's my expertise that is lacking!

I am going to try and rejuvenate my battery tomorrow to increase it's charge capacity. I'll let the forum know if this is successful as I do have a lot of confidence in my CTEK MXS 3.6 charger. A new battery isn't really expensive anyway.

More help or guidance/links to my much needed idiots guide would be appreciated.

Ta most muchly, doffing cap thanks,

Ian

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score

The pass side fusebox, can't recall which fuse but mine only works with the ignition on.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I hard wired my front Dashcam into the fuse box in the glovebox using a hard wire kit purchased with my dashcam. I used a piggy back fuse holder, and it was trial and error to find a fuse that was live only with the ignition on - I didn’t want to risk battery drain.

I think the post you mentioned about the cigarette lighter socket in the boot was mine - that is how I wired the rear dashcam in.

When I get time, I will try to find the posts so I can put a link on here.

Ther is also an excellent post regarding fitting Dashcams by Tianorth.

:thumbup: