What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Custom 'R' Door Lights - Sign Up Here!

2retro

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been working on a little mod for a little while and am now ready to share it with you all as I think it may be something that will be of interest to some of you. If so, read on... :D

It is regarding the 'puddle lights' in the bottom of the RCZ's doors - when you open the door at night it shines a handy light on the ground to aid your exit from the car.

The light units in the doors can easily be removed and replaced. They look like this:

Now, it is possible to purchase replacement units from eBay that, rather than just light the floor when the door is opened, will actually project a Peugeot logo onto the ground instead. These look pretty cool and I know a few on here have done this to their cars:

Here is a sample link to the standard Peugeot logo projecting light units: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-No-D...152?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a2260348

Now, as I said, that's pretty cool but I didn't want go with the Peugeot logo because it just doesn't excite me that much. So, never one to go the easy route, I made some enquires and to cut a long story short, I have sourced a company that can make bespoke filters for these projecting door lights.

I'm thinking this would be pretty damn cool:

Production requires a mould to be made but I'm going to go ahead and get some done. These are going to be super unique as they are not currently available anywhere! :dance:

However, I'm happy if any fellow forum members would like to join me in this endeavour. So if you would be interested in obtaining a set of these 'R' filters for your car please let me know below and I'll make a list and work out how much it's going to cost us each - the more people who want some, then the cheaper it will be for all.

(This is just for the new 'R' filters by the way, you will also need to purchase the replacement projector light housings separately from eBay or elsewhere)

Well, what do you think?

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 3,986
  • pug_logo_light.jpg
    pug_logo_light.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 3,986
  • r_logo_light.jpg
    r_logo_light.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 3,986

2retro

Reaction score
pete.garratt said:
Would be interested. Have you any idea of approximate costs for these filters?
From speaking to the people who make the filters it will probably be between £20 & £30 for a set of 2 but once I get an idea of the amount of interest from peeps on here I'll go back and hammer out a deal with them for the best possible price for everyone. :thumbup:

This is an example of a pair of filters:

Attachments

• filter_sample.jpg
    filter_sample.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 3,940

Abzynthe

Reaction score
£20-£30?!? Wow, thats quite high. Especially if the chinese get hold of the design and make knock offs :p

Really good idea though, I think they look miles better than the Peugeot badge one.

2retro

Reaction score
Abzynthe said:
£20-£30?!? Wow, thats quite high. Especially if the chinese get hold of the design and make knock offs :p

Really good idea though, I think they look miles better than the Peugeot badge one.

Well that was a ballpark figure taking into account making the mould - I won't know for sure until I finalise the deal and I will be able to report back then.

To be fair though, I paid £25 (and so did you I bet) for the little R badge on the back of our cars so I'm used to paying extra just to stand out! :D

A

Anonymous

Nice work buddy, I liked the Peugeot version, but I love the R version!

+1 for a set of R filters :dance:

Just to check though, if I order my laser projectors from the EBay listing, the hot girl IS included right...?

On a serious note, from what I can see it's cheapest to buy the projectors from your link at the top - I then just swap the filters over when you've done the new ones?

2retro

Reaction score
mistral_blue said:
Nice work buddy, I liked the Peugeot version, but I love the R version!

+1 for a set of R filters :dance:

Just to check though, if I order my laser projectors from the EBay listing, the hot girl IS included right...?

On a serious note, from what I can see it's cheapest to buy the projectors from your link at the top - I then just swap the filters over when you've done the new ones?

Thanks, mistral.

Yes, that link is the cheapest 'Buy It Now' one I could find on eBay today but there may be others available on auction that sell for a little less if you're lucky.

stagger321

Reaction score
2retro said:
Abzynthe said:

Well that was a ballpark figure taking into account making the mould - I won't know for sure until I finalise the deal and I will be able to report back then.

To be fair though, I paid £25 (and so did you I bet) for the little R badge on the back of our cars so I'm used to paying extra just to stand out! :D
I like the concept, and have the orig Pug projector puddle lights.

Price seems steep though.
Isn't there scope here for 3D printing plus an in-expensive filter to complete this.
That's got to be a lot less than 20 to 30quid (+ plus the cost of the housing ~10quid)
Because we are talking a small run here, due to limited interest, creation of tooling for traditional plastic injection moulding is always going to be a significant overhead, that you just don't have with 3D printing (aside from you finding someone with a 3D printer that is). That's why 3D printing is the dogs for small runs like this.
Bearing in mind the size of the holders, and from the look of things they are a simple small two piece design, you will be able to know out dozens of these on a single 3D print run. With materials - a few pence each. The cost of the 3D modelling is the biggest overhead, and even I could manage that, looking at their simple design.

The other option, and probably the cheapest is to email a jpeg of the design you want projecting to the company making these units. They will be able to knock out a new set of filters for next to nothing, as its only that item you are replacing. Got to be a lot less cost than 30-40 quid total outlay per unit.

Just a thought.

2retro

Reaction score
I know you can do some amazing stuff with a 3D printer these days and if I had access to one + software and the CAD knowledge to use it I would definitely consider giving it a go. But, as I don't have any of those things, I think it would be more difficult and equally expensive for a novice to produce on a 3D Printer (although once you get the design right you could run them off in large numbers I guess).

I assume the logo part of the filter is printed very small on clear acetate though so that would need to be produced separately as well elsewhere as I don't think that's something a 3D Printer could accomplish?

Don't get too hung up on the price at the moment anyway - I'm still negotiating that. Will report back as soon as I have more news though. :thumbup:

SEVEN7SEV3N

Reaction score
Great idea 2retro :clap:
BUT I've not got a 'R' (unfortunately)
Did you consider making something more in the 'RCZ' ish lines ? Think it would attract more attention due to the majority of owners Not having a 'R'. I may be wrong with that statement.
Just a thought.....

2retro

Reaction score
SEVEN7SEV3N said:
Great idea 2retro :clap:
BUT I've not got a 'R' (unfortunately)
Did you consider making something more in the 'RCZ' ish lines ? Think it would attract more attention due to the majority of owners Not having a 'R'. I may be wrong with that statement.
Just a thought.....
Thanks. You're quire right - I don't actually have an RCZ R either but I like the logo styling so badged mine up with them anyway. I figure since most non RCZ owners don't even know what car it is, they sure as hell won't know if it's an R or not! :lol:

Good idea about the standard RCZ logo lights though. If this goes well I will get some RCZ ones done too if people want them.

stagger321

Reaction score
2retro said:
I know you can do some amazing stuff with a 3D printer these days and if I had access to one + software and the CAD knowledge to use it I would definitely consider giving it a go. But, as I don't have any of those things, I think it would be more difficult and equally expensive for a novice to produce on a 3D Printer (although once you get the design right you could run them off in large numbers I guess).

I assume the logo part of the filter is printed very small on clear acetate though so that would need to be produced separately as well elsewhere as I don't think that's something a 3D Printer could accomplish?

Don't get too hung up on the price at the moment anyway - I'm still negotiating that. Will report back as soon as I have more news though. :thumbup:
It fine mate, and btw I am absolutely not knocking the concept. All credit to you for the suggestion.
Yes - absolutely printing onto acetate is not what 3D printers are good for, they just make the solid bits.
TBH it you are able to break open the black holders you linked to on the thread above then just inserting the small high def acetate replacement might be enough to get this sorted, whether you want an "R" or like Seven7sev3n says an "RCZ" projected.
If this is the case I might have to buy some new tweezers and reading glasses mind.
Anyway, all the best with your investigations and keep us posted. :beer:

(As an aside, you can get 3D printing done via folks on ebay - you don't necessarily need the skills to model and produce the objects yourself)

TAC

Reaction score
I could be interested in this mod keep up the good work

A

Anonymous

Great idea and very cool, bearing in mind the cost of our cars this seems reasonable to me.
Keep me updated, interested.
Kind regards

2retro

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I have an update! :wave:

After much discussion with the company who make the filters I am happy to report this project is definitely going ahead.

The 'R' logo has been sent to them along with a deposit to show I'm serious and allow them to get them started on the moulds.

I'm getting 10 sets of filters to start with. Obviously I will be keeping 1 set for myself so that leaves 9 sets available for whoever wants them.

Cost works out at £20 per set including UK Recorded Delivery and I can accept PayPal, cheque, BACS, etc. (if you live elsewhere in the world, that's fine too but will it cost a little more to cover the shipping).

Lead time on this is 3 - 4 weeks though so will be near end of April when I finally have them in hand ready to post.

If you want to secure yourself a set of 'R' filters please drop me a PM and let me know how you want to pay for them and I'll sort the rest.

Thank you. :thumbup:

TAC

Reaction score
2retro said:
Hi everyone - I have an update! :wave:

After much discussion with the company who make the filters I am happy to report this project is definitely going ahead.

The 'R' logo has been sent to them along with a deposit to show I'm serious and allow them to get them started on the moulds.

I'm getting 10 sets of filters to start with. Obviously I will be keeping 1 set for myself so that leaves 9 sets available for whoever wants them.

Cost works out at £20 per set including UK Recorded Delivery and I can accept PayPal, cheque, BACS, etc. (if you live elsewhere in the world, that's fine too but will it cost a little more to cover the shipping).

Lead time on this is 3 - 4 weeks though so will be near end of April when I finally have them in hand ready to post.

If you want to secure yourself a set of 'R' filters please drop me a PM and let me know how you want to pay for them and I'll sort the rest.

Thank you. :thumbup:

Hi I'm in Cape verde at the moment back next week can you put me down for a set will be able to pay with PayPal thanks

2retro

Reaction score
No problem, TAC - 1 set reserved for you. :thumbup:

Please PM me your address details for when you're back home and we'll sort out the payment then.

Cheers