What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Coolant level warning - just for a second

SouthWestern

Reaction score
The coolant level warning came on permanently a few days ago - coolant level was perfect. Having read on the forum that the coolant level sensor frequently fails, we changed it. This removed the message in text on the dash/radio display, and the red warning picture that was on the little display next to the speedo.
However...
When starting the car, the error comes on briefly - no more than a second - some of the time. Sometimes only in text on the dash/radio display, sometimes the red picture as well, and sometimes not at all.
Any suggestions? Is this somehow now a stored fault?
We would like to sort this out as the car (daughter's) needs to be sold.
Thanks in advance!

Pedro

Reaction score
Coolant level sensor is failing common fault on all Zs only replace with a Bosch one & it should cure the fault

SouthWestern

Reaction score
@Pedro Just wondering if this is from personal experience of this sensor, or just a general preference for Bosch? Reason for asking is I haven't been able to find one, just Bosch temperature sensors.
I bought the this one from Amazon, it seems to get mostly 5* reviews... I guess I could try another.

Pedro

Reaction score
I fitted a aftermarket 1 from ebay exact part spec for my engine code & it failed within a fortnight replaced with a Bosch = No coolant level warning as per the correct part now fitted so I will only fit Bosch or PSA Citroen specified parts on mine & yes they cost more but will last longer!

Nemi

Reaction score
Same here, tried a few coolant level sensors from aliexpress and they failed within a month or so.

SouthWestern

Reaction score
Just adding that after a few days of this behaviour, the coolant level sensor seems to be working fine. I did buy another (not bosch, couldn't find one) but I am sending that back as the cheap one seems to work fine.
Almost as if the car had to learn that it had a new sensor... or needed time to forget about the fault?

Mikefrank

Reaction score
Just adding that after a few days of this behaviour, the coolant level sensor seems to be working fine. I did buy another (not bosch, couldn't find one) but I am sending that back as the cheap one seems to work fine.
Almost as if the car had to learn that it had a new sensor... or needed time to forget about the fault?
I bought a new one from main dealer and I’m still getting low coolant message….🤦‍♂️

Pedro

Reaction score
Check cap on expansion bottle is tight
The message reappearing may be the BSI needs resetting as old fault codes will be triggered by new issues even if its not cooling related

Mikefrank

Reaction score
I haven’t done the BSI Reset and I know it’s quite a lengthy pain to do with what’s involved…..is there an easier way?

Pedro

Reaction score
I haven’t done the BSI Reset and I know it’s quite a lengthy pain to do with what’s involved…..is there an easier way?
Never had to do one on mine but there is a certain knowledgeable chappie on here who has posted numerous BSI resets I assume you have cleared the Faults off the ECU although as you have changed the main culprit (sensor) Alternately this happens when you have a small system leak ? Some Peugeot owners not just with Zs have actually changed the expansion cap & its cured their issues

Mikefrank

Reaction score
Regarding the expansion cap I’m wondering if mines faulty….when unscrewing (engine cold no pressure build up in bottle).. it turns fairly easy then goes tight before coming off?…
Any you guys had similar?

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
Regarding the expansion cap I’m wondering if mines faulty….when unscrewing (engine cold no pressure build up in bottle).. it turns fairly easy then goes tight before coming off?…
Any you guys had similar?
Look for white stains below the tank or anywhere on side of the engine mine had them & was losing small amount of coolant until I tightened the cap not losing any now but if the cap is overtightened it will not form a proper seal it unseats itself on the threads so it appear tight but its definitely not