What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Coolant leak help!!

Jobe0074

Reaction score
Hi all
Have a coolant leak & can not locate where it’s coming from
Dripping slowly where I’ve circled in red below
Pics below and any help appreciated!
Thanks 31068A13-2015-4651-B5E9-E43C05651D09.jpeg

Jobe0074

Reaction score
I’ve checked from up top & under the car
Not coming from radiator hoses etc
Can’t locate the source
Must be somewhere that is not obvious
Any suggestions appreciated

Pedro

Reaction score
I can only assume this is looking from the bottom upwards if you look at the pic just below the circle you have what appears to be a cracked housing & if is water cooled this may be the cause of your problem ?

Jobe0074

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply
& yes this is looking up whilst the car is on a hoist
The coolant is dripping down to this point from higher up - where you can see the coolant on the picture is definitely not where the leak is coming from -

Pedro

Reaction score
Check the coolant hose from the water pump to the thermostat tank connection runs right across the upper rear of engine for leaks it may even be the thermostat tank itself as theses are a known generic fault in all the RCZ variants

Jobe0074

Reaction score
Great thanks my friend
I’ll check it out
Fingers crossed as that won’t be too arduous to replace

RCZAuto

Reaction score
Have a similar issue. Been diagnosed as a thermostat housing leak. Annoying after changing the water pump due to coolant leak only 6 months ago although I am told they are not associated problems.
Question: is the replacement part the actual thermostat (ie: a single unit that includes the housing) or is the housing a separate item? Car is 2014 1.6 Petrol. Also, part is quoted at £133- sound reasonable?
Help much apprec..

Pedro

Reaction score
Yes the Tank has the Thermostat inside the housing but its very important that You need to check which Engine you have in the car ie is it a 156 or 200 judging by your pic its not a R I have the 200 GT with engine code EP6CDTX & only one type of tank will fit this car &there appear to be many for the BMW engines I paid £38 .99 on Ebay & it took them 2 attempts to send the correct tank hence you need the year/ model & Engine code etc but if you send the seller that info for they will sort it for you its just a matter of matching the Parts

Jobe0074

Reaction score
Turned out to be the thermostat & water pipe (that connects to the water pump)
Managed to replace both with plenty of swearing & about 5hours of labour - most difficult was the rear water pipe - had to remove the manifold to access it & Im glad I did - there was plastic still inside the inlet where the pipe had snapped off
Btw this is not the R version - it’s the standard 1.6t EP6 petrol (2013)
Honestly, after replacing the HPFP at 100klms
Timing chain / sprockets etc at 130k & now the thermostat & piping I’m almost done with this prince engine - thinking we move to Japanese engines for ease of any rectification works
Whilst we’ve loved the RCZ - they really are a nightmare after about 130klms & that’s will regular preventative Maintenence (belts / plugs / fluid flushes etc) cars been serviced since we had it new every 5klms
Been nice to drive but my advise if to make sure you don’t own one post 100klms

Pedro

Reaction score
If you had the 2010 onwards up to 2013 we would probably hear you effin & blindin in the UK !😁 I believe the 2013 to 2016 variants had the timing chain system beefed up a bit & a few other tweeks but your right the BMW engines are in need of regular maintenance like a lot of modern cars with Prince1.6 Engine but you have got a good mileage out of it so far without some of the known more problematic generic faults appearing so happy days now its fixed 👏

RCZAuto

Reaction score
Yes the Tank has the Thermostat inside the housing but its very important that You need to check which Engine you have in the car ie is it a 156 or 200 judging by your pic its not a R I have the 200 GT with engine code EP6CDTX & only one type of tank will fit this car &there appear to be many for the BMW engines I paid £38 .99 on Ebay & it took them 2 attempts to send the correct tank hence you need the year/ model & Engine code etc but if you send the seller that info for they will sort it for you its just a matter of matching the Parts
Great, thanks for the tips. It is a 156 and seller has confirmed the part inc. housing, thermostat and sensor. Hoping for some warmer driving shortly and no more coolant issues. Part cost £85 in the end.

RCZAuto

Reaction score
You were spot on Pedro! New part not matching old one despite reg entered. Seems my 2014, 1.6 156 THP GT petrol has the 4 pin connector/single sensor cable opposed to the 2 pin/2 sensor cable. And I want to avoid the extra cable workaround. Where do I find the Engine code etc. Any tips on beat sellers in the UK for accuracy of parts/best database. My mechanic has already stripped and reconnected once as wrong part provided.

Jobe0074

Reaction score
Might be a good idea to quote your VIN to your local Peugeot dealer & they will give you the correct part number & you can then source it from anywhere
That’s what I normally do if I can’t find the specific part number
Luckily I have a great local Peugeot dealer that’s only too happy to help

Pedro

Reaction score
You need the Vin No as there are 12 listed variants of engines in the EP category as for a supplier I believe the guy who sold me one on eBay has all the correct OEM parts his problem was they had a upgrade on the coolant systems sensor so he sent me the wrong one which had the wrong plug in for my engine

Jobe0074

Reaction score
Yeh when I bought the new thermostat it came with the correct replacement sensor - just plug & play
Only issue once I fitted the new parts was I needed a diagnostic scan tool to clear the error codes - cleared codes & the cars been running fine - success

RCZAuto

Reaction score
Thanks both!

Jobe0074, this is exactly what my mechanic is highlighting. Has asked that I try and get a like-4-like part but have checked 4 outlets (2 Peugeot) and the housing just seems to have been modified (possibly the upgrade that Pedro refers to) so I will need a harness to reroute the sensors. Perhaps the provided part was correct however, concern is around messing around with the ECU. Sorry, I'm paraphrasing - Thoughts?

Pedro

Reaction score
Thanks both!

Jobe0074, this is exactly what my mechanic is highlighting. Has asked that I try and get a like-4-like part but have checked 4 outlets (2 Peugeot) and the housing just seems to have been modified (possibly the upgrade that Pedro refers to) so I will need a harness to reroute the sensors. Perhaps the provided part was correct however, concern is around messing around with the ECU. Sorry, I'm paraphrasing - Thoughts?
I don't think you should have a problem as once you reconnect the plug in you just wipe the code out if any show up out in the ECU & all should be OK just check engine reaches normal temp & on the gauge then happy days
I believe the new upgraded unit came with extended hard wired tails to reach the Thermostat connection but I refer to the Prince Engines in a 207GT maybe different for the RCZ but its basically the same Engine cooling system for both models

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe this may be the same as the Mini Cooper upgraded housing where you need to purchase a new sensor cable that’s compatible.