What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Coolant in Engine

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

a new owner of an RCZ from Australia had it for a week then had the engine stop light warning, found out afterwards that there was coolant in the engine when it was towed away. Now the mechanic has said that the engine sleeves ain't good and apparently it's on the engine block?

so my question is, is it worth an engine rebuild and how much or source a new THP200 engine? being in OZ the THP200 is rare and there's one where he wants $7000 for it. i know the engine is the same as the Mini N18 which there's quite a few i can source will the engine be a straight drop in? Just wanting to get this beaut of a car on the road!!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
:greetings-wavingblue: Welcome :text-welcomewave:

How old is the car? Can Peugeot help out? I don't know what the situation is with Peugeot dealerships in Australia?

You say you only had the car a week when this happened, can you not take it back to the seller - the problem must have been there prior to the sale.

A

Anonymous

the car is a 2011 it was purchased privately. i knew the car had issues when i purchased for a certain price. The is out of warranty but i have contact Peugeot Australia to see if they can do anything. I'm just preparing for the worse case hopefully it's just the head or gasket.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, hopefully it's just the head gasket I'm sure there have been a few rczs with failed head gaskets. Good luck hopefully not too expensive to fix. :thumbup:

drdino

Reaction score
Never heard of an EP6 engine with cracked sleeves. Are you sure it's that serious, and not the head gasket that's gone?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies guys.

Not sure it's the sleeve the mechanic could be telling fibs.

how hard would it be to warp the or crack the head? i'm hoping it's just the head gasket. Also he topped up like 4 litres of coolant and it disappeared from the reserve tank and into the cylinders.

tianorth

Reaction score
Looks like the head gasket has gone between the water jacket channels and cylinders.
The only other way of getting water in to the cylinders is if a sleeve has cracked and depending where the cracks is depends if it stays in the cylinders or goes into the sump.

If it is the head gasket the heat will have warped the head but you should be able to have it skimmed flat.

Water need to be taken out of cylinders then a light coating of oil to try to prevent corrosion whilst being in for repairs.

tianorth

Reaction score
It doesn't look like they are sleeved as I can't find the parts.

A

Anonymous

Hey guys i think the other mechanic might be BS. the car is going to my mechanic today and he will pull out the head we'll see what it actually is. will keep you updated.

A

Anonymous

Hey guys just another question does anyone know if the head of the Mini N18 engine is the same at the THP200? because i can get one cheap as oppose to a brand new one from Peugeot at $6000aud!

A

Anonymous

Good news, looks like a welsh plug has came off inside the head hence all the coolant going into the cylinders. Engine is back together and installed tonight hopefully she'll be on the road at the end of the week!

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Great stuff! :dance: glad it's not been as bad as you thought :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Sorry been on holidays

Ok update engine was taken out and the issue was a welch plug in the head that had came off. Was sealed and engine put back.

Coolant is holding in reservoir. Problem is the car is turning and starting for a few seconds and the engine shuts down. There was 18 error codes but all have been cleared.

And the same probelm is still happening starts for a few seconds and then engine shuts down. Any ideas????

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Have all connections been made securely when the engine was re fitted? Could it be an airlock in the coolant system?

A

Anonymous

All fluids were drained and refilled.

Spoke to the Peugeot dealer them said it could be the immobilizer but my mechanic ran a diagnostic on it and it was fine but the dealer said also there a fuse box in between that and the ecu which could have a faulty board? Work will continue on tomorrow my mechanic thinks it could be the timing. Hopefully its sorted this week.

A

Anonymous

Hi all just a question would the problem starting for a few seconds then car shuts down would this sound like a HPFP issue? if so i'll get one and test it out.

A

Anonymous

Possible and could be ecu or fuse box faulty. Some common issues in 308 before

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Could well be the fuel pump, it does sound like fuel starvation would have this kind of effect.