What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Convince Me

mrtf

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have the opportunity to purchase a low mileage RCZ in excellent condition in Australia. However I'm worried about all the things that seem to go wrong and the cost of repairs. I love the look of this car and the performance. Only about a 1000 were sold in Australia over it's life cycle so very exclusive but I assume this makes parts hard to get?

Convince me why I should buy (I really want to) or should I keep my pristine Mazda MX5.

Thanks

Tony

apple3337

Reaction score
Tough call only you can make. I'm in Melbourne. Where are you located?

Pedro

Reaction score
Troubles you may encounter is importing parts off the web so depending on model the Z has generic faults like most modern cars if its the facelift these were tweaked in regards to Engine parts etc
The HPFP is a know consumable these can go between low medium or high Klm
The timing chain & tensioners on the Prince Engines are a known issue but the facelift chain guides were beefed up making them more robust as for the tensioner its a oil pressured piston which over time becomes too stiff to tension the chain so worth replacing if not done by previous owner?
The coolant level sensor (inside the expansion bottle) can fail which is very easy to replace only use a Bosch one!
Thermostat tank & or coolant sensor (Engine) can fail & again a straightforward replacement
Coil packs are long life & need little maintenance if one goes change all 4 together don't mix & match not recommended
Spark plugs will last through a service schedule should be changed around 30.000 klms if its the 200 or the R variant again change all 4 together & at the lower klm spectrum
Oil service is at the owners discretion it has been found that replacing before the service is due can vastly prolong the life of direct injection engines especially the Princes including chain life tensioner & VVT valve & the Engine will run to its max performance if oil levels are fully maintained regularly
Apart from the above its basically & matter of driving & enjoying an Icon of motoring history & if something does need repair or replacing that's life
Good Luck

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Wow Pedro, until I read the last line I was selling mine 🤣

As for the OP, it’s a used car, cars go wrong, fixing cars costs money. If you want to buy a boring hatchback or saloon, you might well find that it goes wrong too.
I would rather drive round in a car that is one of the most beautiful ever made knowing it might or might not go wrong, than drive round in something I wouldn’t care where I parked it, when it had just as much chance (sometimes more) of going wrong.

mrtf

Reaction score
Tough call only you can make. I'm in Melbourne. Where are you located?
Tasmania but car is on Melbourne
Troubles you may encounter is importing parts off the web so depending on model the Z has generic faults like most modern cars if its the facelift these were tweaked in regards to Engine parts etc
The HPFP is a know consumable these can go between low medium or high Klm
The timing chain & tensioners on the Prince Engines are a known issue but the facelift chain guides were beefed up making them more robust as for the tensioner its a oil pressured piston which over time becomes too stiff to tension the chain so worth replacing if not done by previous owner?
The coolant level sensor (inside the expansion bottle) can fail which is very easy to replace only use a Bosch one!
Thermostat tank & or coolant sensor (Engine) can fail & again a straightforward replacement
Coil packs are long life & need little maintenance if one goes change all 4 together don't mix & match not recommended
Spark plugs will last through a service schedule should be changed around 30.000 klms if its the 200 or the R variant again change all 4 together & at the lower klm spectrum
Oil service is at the owners discretion it has been found that replacing before the service is due can vastly prolong the life of direct injection engines especially the Princes including chain life tensioner & VVT valve & the Engine will run to its max performance if oil levels are fully maintained regularly
Apart from the above its basically & matter of driving & enjoying an Icon of motoring history & if something does need repair or replacing that's life
Good Luck
Thank you for such a detailed informative reply

apple3337

Reaction score
I go to Justin Fisher Automotive in Deepene. Get him to do a pre-purchase report if you are getting serious.
Have you got a link to the ad?

mrtf

Reaction score
I go to Justin Fisher Automotive in Deepene. Get him to do a pre-purchase report if you are getting serious.
Have you got a link to the ad?
Thanks for information. Car is not advertised I know of it from a friend who knows the owner.