What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Cold start issue ?

Pedro

Reaction score
My 200GT is throwing up a intermittent fault code on cold start up basically as soon as its fired up engine light comes on & its showing the dreaded P0087 fuel trim pressure issue & the usual anti pollution warning I have a suspicion it might be the fuel pressure sensor but I also have a worn timing chain ( Rattle ) which may just be throwing up a slight timing fault causing the ECU to readjust the air fuel mixture after fire up to compensate for the valve timing going slightly out of sync
Once I drive off if I attempt to give it a boost it starts to judder momentarily on acceleration so I'm thinking its fuel pressure related & as fuel pumps are around £350 a pop I will change the pressure sensor first & see how it reacts
If anyone has had a similar issue can they post up any info

2retro

Reaction score
If you want some good advice, save yourself the hassle and expense of guesswork and just get one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QCT1PC5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Amazon Review: My car went into 'limp mode' and the main dealer wanted to charge me £85 for 'diagnostics' plus an hour's labour charge at £105. I got this instead on a recommendation from a friend and ran my own system diagnostic. Turns out the reason for loss of power was an old stored fault code on the ECU. I cleared it off and reset it with this amazing device and the car was instantly back to normal afterwards. The fault has not returned either so that was a saving of £140 plus I can use this again and again in the future as required. Fantastic device, well worth the cost. Also, I already had a cheap £5 OBD reader that I tried before purchasing this and it couldn't even see the stored error code so this one is well worth the extra outlay as it does so much more. 👍

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
My 200GT is throwing up a intermittent fault code on cold start up basically as soon as its fired up engine light comes on & its showing the dreaded P0087 fuel trim pressure issue & the usual anti pollution warning I have a suspicion it might be the fuel pressure sensor but I also have a worn timing chain ( Rattle ) which may just be throwing up a slight timing fault causing the ECU to readjust the air fuel mixture after fire up to compensate for the valve timing going slightly out of sync
Once I drive off if I attempt to give it a boost it starts to judder momentarily on acceleration so I'm thinking its fuel pressure related & as fuel pumps are around £350 a pop I will change the pressure sensor first & see how it reacts
If you know your timing chain needs replacing your going to do some major damage if you keep running it without a replacement

thornebt

Reaction score
The P0087 Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low message is often the result of a defective fuel pump. They use hydraulic oil as a transfer fluid and over time the oil leaks past the worn seals. My RCZ came up with P0087 and ran really badly when it was cold. It would be OK when it had warmed up slightly or if I kept the revs high for a couple of minutes after starting the engine but the problem will only get worse. I sent my fuel pump off to someone on Ebay who reconditions them for about £150. It's not a difficult item to remove and replace if you happy tackling it yourself. I put a thread on here a couple of weeks ago about it. Cheers. Bruce.

thornebt

Reaction score
If you do replace the fuel pressure sensor you might be able to connect a pressure gauge whilst it's out to test the pressure in the fuel rail. The fuel pressure on the low pressure side of the pump is about 70psi but someone on YouTube said it's more like 800psi on the high pressure side. Most fuel pressure gauges seem to go up to around 140psi and it might be expensive to get one for much higher pressures. Maybe a local garage would have a suitable gauge and could test it a lot cheaper than your Peugeot dealer.

I bought a gauge to test the low pressure side just to rule out the other fuel pump in the tank - which never seems to fail anyway!

Cheers. Bruce.

Pedro

Reaction score
If you know your timing chain needs replacing your going to do some major damage if you keep running it without a replacement
Thanks yes I know but I changed the Tensioner last Oct & it was still giving slight cold start rattle until the oil pressure filled the top end The car has 43.335 on the clock so I will have the chain out on 45.000 I change the oil every 3-4000 mls so as not to build up too much condensate & oil residue throughout the engine as it only does about 3500 per year but I will keep my eye on it just in case

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
The other weak parts in the timing kit are the guides these can break up and cause major failure, the new kit has slightly beefed up items.

Pedro

Reaction score
The other weak parts in the timing kit are the guides these can break up and cause major failure, the new kit has slightly beefed up items.
Dead right there I don't think in 40 yrs of messing with cars have I ever seen a more bizarre chain guide but the reason BMW chose this design is because its so straight forward to remove the whole chain in one go but saying that the real danger with this cassette set up is if it capitulates during running most of it ends in the the sump if your lucky & then its a total strip down to clean all the debris out I reckon the only option with his type of engine is keep the oil clean to cut down the wear in the top end

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes exactly Peugeot now recommend Total ineo first 0w-30 as the service oil regular oil changes are the key to keeping this engine sweet.

Pedro

Reaction score
The P0087 Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low message is often the result of a defective fuel pump. They use hydraulic oil as a transfer fluid and over time the oil leaks past the worn seals. My RCZ came up with P0087 and ran really badly when it was cold. It would be OK when it had warmed up slightly or if I kept the revs high for a couple of minutes after starting the engine but the problem will only get worse. I sent my fuel pump off to someone on Ebay who reconditions them for about £150. It's not a difficult item to remove and replace if you happy tackling it yourself. I put a thread on here a couple of weeks ago about it. Cheers. Bruce.
My fuel trim issue has bit the dust I can only assume after 3 days of engine bleeps & juddering on boost I must have had picked up some residues in the fuel rail poss from the Tank Strainer so I would suggest to anyone with a similar problem/problems check the fuel delivery first before going down the road of the sensor or the pump

Pedro

Reaction score
My fuel trim issue has bit the dust I can only assume after 3 days of engine bleeps & juddering on boost I must have had picked up some residues in the fuel rail poss from the Tank Strainer so I would suggest to anyone with a similar problem/problems check the fuel delivery first before going down the road of the sensor or the pump
Fuel trim haunting fault sighted again today cleared code off drove car for about 2 klm & no fault the car drove perfect with normal boost I wonder if it is the seals in the pump which are prone to fail I kept the new pump just in case But the diagnostics showed the long/short fuel trim graphics as peaks & troughs maybe it is a slowly dying pump or a intermittent fault on the pressure sensor so its back to the weather forecasts for a clear spell