What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Centre Brake Light Mod

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
That looks very effective also could hide some of the faulty LEDs that are out...
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice one looks great like Les said it’s a good idea for someone to cover dodgy LED’s
I’ve just bought a new unit from Holland about £170 delivered. I’ve only got one LED out at the moment but due to the silly prices dealers are asking for these lights l would assume they’re going to become unavailable in the not too distant future so I’m future proofing ;)

2retro

Reaction score
£170 for a new unit?! And I thought £5 for some vinyl was expensive! 😉

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
😂 Yes some dealers are quoting up to £300 for a new unit! 4 years ago my dealer quoted £97 plus vat.

thornebt

Reaction score
If someone drove into the back of you could they claim that you had partially obscured the brake light? I guess probably not as this is an 'extra' brake light? Cheers. Bruce.

2retro

Reaction score
If someone drove into the back of you could they claim that you had partially obscured the brake light? I guess probably not as this is an 'extra' brake light? Cheers. Bruce.
It would be a pretty thin argument since the other 2 normal ones are fine...

Like you say, I think it's seen as an 'extra brake light' anyway otherwise anyone with LED's out better be careful too! 🤣

RC61ZZZ

Reaction score
I've just joined the forum, my daughter having recently bought an RCZ - so guess I'll be maintaining it for her!
The middle brake light has some led's out (or dim), so bought a cheap second hand one in similar state to see if they can be fixed.
I've seen one thread on here where a member 'Jumper' has opened up the unit with a dremel, but I've used on old soldering iron and made it into a hot knife to get into this one.
20200211_135055.jpg
I thought it might be possible to replace individual led's, but each has 4 connectors on the back which don't appear on the reverse of the baseboard, so beyond my capabilities - assuming the led's were available.
On powering up the board I noticed some bulbs were dim - these could be made brighter by pressing them down. so I guess these just have bad connections.
20200211_122600.jpg20200211_122603.jpg20200211_114539.jpg
Hopefully I've now sourced some red led's on a strip with the same spacing 2.25cm and can replace the main board with this - think it will look better keeping the original reflector.
20200211_114710.jpg
Sorry this isn't finished yet, but thought it might be of interest. Will continue post when strips arrive.
Dad.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice one, I’ve bought a secondhand one to do exactly the same I think your right keeping the original reflector. I’ve also bought a new unit from Holland for about £170 inc delivery because Peugeot seem to be hiking prices for RCZ spares.
Looking forward to your finished results 👍

RC61ZZZ

Reaction score
Finally the red led strips arrived, but not the spacing they said so had to cut them up and wire them in parallel - tried mounting them on the original baseboard (after removing the old led's), but not enough room left (because of my wiring) so the chrome reflector can be used - didn't want to leave that out, so mounted on some very thin plastic sheet cut to same shape as old baseboard, not the neatest but worked.

IMG_2265.jpg

Put this in and the reflector in place after soldering old connector lead back on. The housing tabs holding the reflector underneath had broken during removal as shown in this pic.

20200211_143058-001.jpg

So glued the top ones in place to keep it from moving. I used Power Bond 806 adhesive - this is the best glue I've ever used and seems to hold most plastics together after a few seconds.

IMG_2266-001.jpg IMG_2269-001.jpg

Clamped the whole unit together and tested - looks great.

IMG_2273-001.jpg

After sanding the mating edges a bit smoother, I glued the brake light back together again with Power Bond 806 and finally sealed around the edge with red silicone sealer.
Think if I was doing the job again I'd use a dremel to open the back, and the hot knife for the sides (more control). The front of the unit just snapped open with a little bit of pressure - maybe I was lucky.
Anyway, it works - just got to fit it to my daughters car when she's got some time spare.
Was it worth it? - cheaper than £170 for a new one - better if you could find led's with correct spacing but a lot of delicate work. Think this could only be done once to each brake light, otherwise it'll start looking messy.

Last edited:

Jumper

Reaction score
Finally the red led strips arrived, but not the spacing they said so had to cut them up and wire them in parallel - tried mounting them on the original baseboard (after removing the old led's), but not enough room left (because of my wiring) so the chrome reflector can be used - didn't want to leave that out, so mounted on some very thin plastic sheet cut to same shape as old baseboard, not the neatest but worked.

View attachment 9468

Put this in and the reflector in place after soldering old connector lead back on. The housing tabs holding the reflector underneath had broken during removal as shown in this pic.

View attachment 9473

So glued the top ones in place to keep it from moving. I used Power Bond 806 adhesive - this is the best glue I've ever used and seems to hold most plastics together after a few seconds.

View attachment 9471 View attachment 9472

Clamped the whole unit together and tested - looks great.

View attachment 9470

After sanding the mating edges a bit smoother, I glued the brake light back together again with Power Bond 806 and finally sealed around the edge with red silicone sealer.
Think if I was doing the job again I'd use a dremel to open the back, and the hot knife for the sides (more control). The front of the unit just snapped open with a little bit of pressure - maybe I was lucky.
Anyway, it works - just got to fit it to my daughters car when she's got some time spare.
Was it worth it? - cheaper than £170 for a new one - better if you could find led's with correct spacing but a lot of delicate work. Think this could only be done once to each brake light, otherwise it'll start looking messy.
Well done. I kept the old reflector but its covered by the new rail of LEDs. Totally agree you can only do this once the unit would be a real mess if you opened it up again. Probably wouldnt stop me trying tho Lol :cool:

JackD1969

Reaction score
Hi all, does nobody have or know someone who has a 3D printer where they could design a cheaper replacement option?