What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Car pulls left (not alignment issue)

GTlove

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a big issue with my RCZ GT 156 2011 :thumbdown:

Iv had her since February when I brought her she had full Peugeot history and drove like a dream.

I decided to get some new front tyres on her and the guy suggested I get alignment done. Stupidly I decided to go ahead with it but at a wheel alignment shop. He told me it was slightly misalignment even though it drove straight I went along with it.

Now since then my car keeps pulling left. If I hold the steering wheel straight it drives straight if I let go the steering wheel will go left and also the car. I took I back and he said its fine :roll:

Iv had it looked at elsewhere they can't find any suspension issues, tyres or anything. Iv had it aligned again and still has the issue. I can hear a grinding noise in the footwell/pedals when I'm driving now. Mechanics are talking to me like im imagining it and also the typical 'its the camber of the road' line.

any suggestions? its really bugging me to the point I can't enjoy driving

thanks in advance :eusa-think:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Have you tried swapping the front wheels over?

You say this started when you had new tyres fitted to the front......

Unless your tyres are directional, they should probably have “outside” written on them somewhere.
Make sure that is actually on the outside on both, it wouldn’t be the first time someone had put the tyre on the wrong way round. This would have an affect on the steering. it is also dangerous.

If they are both ok, just try swapping them over, front left to front right etc. See if that affects the way it pulls. If it pulls the other way, there might be an issue with one of the tyres.

Also, make sure the tyre pressures are what they should be. Under/over inflation can cause pulling.

UncleBen

Reaction score
Hi,
I have the same issue, pulling slightly left. Not very bad but enough to make it tiring on motorway journeys, I haven't had the alignment done but I swapped my wheels front to back to even out the wear and it did reduce the pull enough to make it noticeable. This indicates to me that it is most likely a tire issue.
Give it a try, you never know?

UncleBen

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:

Unless your tyres are directional, they should probably have “outside” written on them somewhere.
Make sure that is actually on the outside on both, it wouldn’t be the first time someone had put the tyre on the wrong way round. This would have an affect on the steering. it is also dangerous.

If they are both ok, just try swapping them over, front left to front right etc. See if that affects the way it pulls. If it pulls the other way, there might be an issue with one of the tyres.

Also, make sure the tyre pressures are what they should be. Under/over inflation can cause pulling.
The other thing to be aware of when swapping tires around is direction of rotation, if they have this you cannot swap sides. Not all tires have it but my ones do which is why I went front to back. Its annoying really because you cant rotate your tires periodically.

GTlove

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:

Thanks for the fast replies! yeah iv tried swapping them the new ones are on the back now and I even brought new ones for the front. I just checked all 4 say 'outside'. Ill have to check the tyre pressure again because whenever I take it to a garage they always put the wrong pressure in but I do check it regularly. Iv had the alignment done maybe 4 times now. Even my trusted mechanic iv used for a few years can't find anything wrong with the suspension or tyres.

Could it be the tie rods? I noticed in its last MOT it did fail on a coil spring broken. But it shows it passed on retest.

GTlove

Reaction score
UncleBen said:
Hi,
I have the same issue, pulling slightly left. Not very bad but enough to make it tiring on motorway journeys, I haven't had the alignment done but I swapped my wheels front to back to even out the wear and it did reduce the pull enough to make it noticeable. This indicates to me that it is most likely a tire issue.
Give it a try, you never know?

Hey thanks :eusa-think:

I was thinking it could be a bad tyre tbh. I went back to them there day after it started pulling they rebalanced it told me the tyre is fine.

GTlove

Reaction score
UncleBen said:
DKZ5745 said:

The other thing to be aware of when swapping tires around is direction of rotation, if they have this you cannot swap sides. Not all tires have it but my ones do which is why I went front to back. Its annoying really because you cant rotate your tires periodically.

How do you know if the tyres have this?

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
GTlove said:
UncleBen said:
DKZ5745 said:

How do you know if the tyres have this?
google is your friend -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source= ... 9491489304

D

Deleted User

GTlove said:

Iv had her since February when I brought her she had full Peugeot history and drove like a dream.

I decided to get some new front tyres on her and the guy suggested I get alignment done. Stupidly I decided to go ahead with it but at a wheel alignment shop. He told me it was slightly misalignment even though it drove straight I went along with it.

Now since then my car keeps pulling left. If I hold the steering wheel straight it drives straight if I let go the steering wheel will go left and also the car. I took I back and he said its fine :roll:

Iv had it looked at elsewhere they can't find any suspension issues, tyres or anything. Iv had it aligned again and still has the issue. I can hear a grinding noise in the footwell/pedals when I'm driving now. Mechanics are talking to me like im imagining it and also the typical 'its the camber of the road' line.

have you had a mechanic / fitter sit with you (or even better drive) the car to see if they agree with you?

for sure it may look ok on alignment but on the road something is clearly going on. are all the suspension bushes in good order? static they may seem ok but under load potentially there's a change.

good luck - and keep us posted!

ian b

DKZ5745

Reaction score
There will be an arrow curving round the tyre and it should say something like “direction of rotation”
That’s what I. Want in my first post when I said they may be directional. It’s important that the arrow points in the direction the tyre will rotate when travelling forwards. I don’t know hat would happen if one was fitted the wrong way round, but I doubt it would be a very pleasant experience, and may well result in pulling to one side.

These type of tyres are designed to displace water in a certain way, they are also designed to fit to give optimum grip when travelling at speed so it is imperative that the arrow is pointing in the right direction.

Not all tyres are directional.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
You also mentioned a broken coil spring. Was that replaced? If not it might well have been missed on the re-test but could be the cause of your issues :eusa-think:

GTlove

Reaction score
beaks said:
GTlove said:

have you had a mechanic / fitter sit with you (or even better drive) the car to see if they agree with you?

for sure it may look ok on alignment but on the road something is clearly going on. are all the suspension bushes in good order? static they may seem ok but under load potentially there's a change.

good luck - and keep us posted!

ian b

Hey Ian

Yeah they’ve checked the suspension they said it’s fine also he’s driven it and said there is a pull but not severe but I know when I got the car it was dead straight before any changes. I suggested it might be the wheel bearings as he’s said it’s not suspension components but he says the wheels are moving freely.

GTlove

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
You also mentioned a broken coil spring. Was that replaced? If not it might well have been missed on the re-test but could be the cause of your issues :eusa-think:

Yeah they checked those and they have been changed at this point I’m grateful for a problem lol

DKZ5745

Reaction score
So, a solution to your problem which is of course highly dubious, and probably not to be recommended, you could increase the pressure in the left front by a couple of psi and reduce the front right by a similar amount.

A few pounds up or down is not considered dangerous, and is likely to result in a very slight pull to the right, which should counter the one you have to the left.

It’s not ideal, but if it sorts it.....

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
So, a solution to your problem which is of course highly dubious, and probably not to be recommended, you could increase the pressure in the left front by a couple of psi and reduce the front right by a similar amount.

A few pounds up or down is not considered dangerous, and is likely to result in a very slight pull to the right, which should counter the one you have to the left.

It’s not ideal, but if it sorts it.....
I would be worried about the effect on braking using that method

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I agree, as I said it’s not ideal and not a permanent solution I would want, but if owners checked their tyre pressures, I bet most would find the odd 1 or 2 tyres down a few psi, I check mine regularly and sometimes mine are down.

If the op sticks to just a couple of psi up left and down right, the affects on braking would be negligible (maybe a pull to the right very slightly but probably hardly noticeable).

Once the pressures have been adjusted, it would be a case of driving & checking what (if any) the effect on braking was.

The best solution would of course be to find what was causing the slight pull to the left but if that’s not possible, then just maybe this might help in the meantime. :eusa-think:

GTlove

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
I agree, as I said it’s not ideal and not a permanent solution I would want, but if owners checked their tyre pressures, I bet most would find the odd 1 or 2 tyres down a few psi, I check mine regularly and sometimes mine are down.

If the op sticks to just a couple of psi up left and down right, the affects on braking would be negligible (maybe a pull to the right very slightly but probably hardly noticeable).

Once the pressures have been adjusted, it would be a case of driving & checking what (if any) the effect on braking was.

The best solution would of course be to find what was causing the slight pull to the left but if that’s not possible, then just maybe this might help in the meantime. :eusa-think:

Hey thanks that sounds like a tempting idea :eusa-think: is it dangerous ?

I have an MOT next week with Peugeot im hoping they will find something and take my money haha

I do now hear a slight clunk noise when im going over slightly uneven roads, not loud and not a deep tone.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
My son once sold his Audi A3 which had always pulled left after an accident. When he was selling it, he did exactly that, @ 3 psi up front left and @ 3 psi down front right. I drove it, and it almost completely cured the pull. Tbh the braking was better too, as it had pulled left even more under braking previously.

It is not an ideal solution as I said before, but, worth a try if all else fails.

GTlove

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
My son once sold his Audi A3 which had always pulled left after an accident. When he was selling it, he did exactly that, @ 3 psi up front left and @ 3 psi down front right. I drove it, and it almost completely cured the pull. Tbh the braking was better too, as it had pulled left even more under braking previously.

It is not an ideal solution as I said before, but, worth a try if all else fails.

Cheers its in for service and mot at Peugeot next Monday ill do this until then. So the front wheels are supposed to be 2.4 bar would I put 2.7 left and 2.1 right?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I would just go 2.6 left and 2.2 right. That’s around 3 psi up and down, so a 6 psi differential over the front axle. Try that and see if it makes any difference. If not you could go a bit more and try it, but I wouldn’t go any more than your original suggestion as that’s @ 5 psi above and below so 10 psi difference over the front axle.

As I said, there are plenty of motorists driving round with far bigger differences than that, just have a look at the tyres on the cars in front when you are out driving, there almost always one with a bulging tyre somewhere on the car indicating it’s way below the correct pressure, so a 5 psi increase/drop will not be too noticeable when braking.

Let’s hope they come up with something when it’s in the garage :eusa-think: