What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Cam-shaft Cover and Cooling fan?

Edin_RCZ

Reaction score
Hi,
Having some issues with my wee RCZ, hoping someone can help out...

I drive a 2012, Petrol 1.6 (156 hp) RCZ. I noticed oil starting to weep from the side of my engine where the metal/plastic meets. I guessed it was time for a new gasket (I have also gone through the famous timing chain death-rattle :) . I assumed the garage didn't replace it when fixing). This was unsuccessful- so I guess I'm looking at having to replace the cam-cover.

However, i have also noticed that my cooling fan now runs a *Lot*. As soon as I start her up it runs. After I turn off the engine, rather than running for about 20ish seconds its now minutes (8-10 minutes). More recently, this has flattened my battery :roll: .

Changing the PCV didn't help.

Before I go ahead and replace the cam shaft, can someone advise what this fan issue might be. Is it linked to needing a new cam-cover? (From the other discussions about this i haven't seen these two items connected, but it seems too much of a coincidence).

The temperature needle never jumps up to maximum and down which i have seen could indicate a sensor problem. What tends to happen is on a drive i get to 90°C and if i need to slow down it drops off to 70-80°C.

No error codes have ever popped up - and a code reader just told me my battery voltage was low.

Hope you can help!
Cheers

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome :greetings-wavingblue: rocker cover gasket is a common issue mine was dry as a bone until the timing chain was replaced, I’ve had the gasket re done but it’s still leaking so like you’ve already said a new rocker cover is needed to sort the leak.
Your fan issue will not be connected to the rocker cover leak.

Edin_RCZ

Reaction score
Hi :-D

Thank you for responding so quickly! Glad I'm not alone with the cam cover. Is there a specific make I should go for. Any issues there?

And any thoughts on the fan if not connected? what made me think of it was because ive heard the fan runs crazy if you leave the oil cap off. I cant feel any suction or blowing.

It can't be related to the 6 hours of summer we had. That's over and it's still doing it. :lol:

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
You’ve got to go genuine part for the rocker cover I think it’s a matter of probably over tightening and maybe over time the plastic becomes brittle?
As for the fans I know as you’ve stated duff temp sensors cause this but I’m sure the fans run mad with the smallest of sensor issues try disconnecting the coolant level sensor on the expansion tank that has been known to cause the same issue.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
I agree with all the help Neil has given, I had the temp sensor thingy and disconnected the expansion tank sensor, that fixed that lol.
But what I wanted to add is that a dying battery can throw up some very unusual faults and you mention battery voltage low. Worth having the battery checked out they are meant to be only good for 3 to 5 years.
Hope you get it sorted and keep us informed.
Cheers M.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Edin_RCZ

Reaction score
Hi I just wanted to give a bit of an update.

So I couldn't really afford a genuine part so i cheaped out and got one for 56£ off eBay (AUTOKINGCITY: Cylinder Valve Rocker Cover & Gasket for Citroen & Peugeot 1.6 16V Petrol Engine). :oops: I realize that this was a risk but figured it was one worth taking.

I had to drive the car to my mates as he has the tools/ability to actually work on the car so I charged up the battery using a clip on battery charger (positive to positive and negative to metal sticky-out bit on the engine. Before doing so i checked the viewing glass and it was white/clear (indicating poor battery health). I trickle charged it for a few hours (cause I'm a bit blonde) and then tried again with "fast" charge

After charging i got put the ignition on and it was in "Economy mode" - That's where the radio wont come on to save battery (nothing to do with the engine). The car did start however pretty quickly (under 5 seconds). I waited for the cooling fan to start up and.... well nothing.................. :wtf:

I also noticed a few other changes in the way the transmission behaved (The car is an auto -Don't judge i live in Edinburgh; awful road networks- and whilst i had been having problems the transmission was slower to pull away and it hated slipping so it was always "locked up" making things slightly more "sporty" than i like). It's now normal.

Drove to my mates, and changed the cam cover. There are some minor differences to the one originally on the car (there's a wee valve at the back but it kept itself closed. At the "Port" side of the cam cover we had to make a small cut/hole in order to put the breather pipe on and have a jubilee clip to keep the breather pipe on tight. My battery viewing window is also now green!!

2 days on and things still seem good. I've driven on mixed roads (to use the full range of the car) and I haven't had *any* oil leaking out. I topped the oil tank up today and I will see how far i get before needing to top up (for reference i was using about 1.5L/1000 miles before.

Thank you guys for your help. Please keep your fingers crossed for me :beer:

I will keep an eye on my battery- It's obviously getting on a bit but the theory that low battery power causes problems is very well founded. I wasn't throwing up any error messages until i couldn't get the car started but it was obviously causing issues in the background.

Also - so far - No issues regards oil leaks.