What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Cam chain

Reaction score
Hello
I'm looking at buying one of these hopefully the 200hp one but have seen lots of issues about the the timing chain issue. Could anyone let me know what year of rcz this is on as I have read it was only on the 2010 year and was then fixed in the 2011 models but have also heard it covered the whole of the mk1 years. Could someone please clarify this. As I really want one of these but really don't want this issue.
Regards
Pete

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Hi Pete, great choice of car 👍

the timing chain issue was more or less restricted to the Mk1 RCZ which ran from 2010 to 2013. From 2013 on, the MkII model had a modified chain tensioner fitted, which didn’t seem to suffer the same failure rate as the earlier models.
most Mk1 cars will by now have had a replacement kit fitted, which is the modified version as fitted to the MkII.
If you see a Mk1 that you are interested in, just enquire if the timing chain has been replaced.
There has been the odd MkII that has had the same problem, but very few, and probably no more than any other car manufacturer.

have a search on here regarding other “common” issues such as jacking points, just something to look out for when researching your next car. 👍

JC1

Reaction score
One on the left is the duff one, other two are the new upgrade. If you stick your hand down the back of the block you can feel the difference and then you will know if it's been rectified.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191114-211616_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20191114-211616_Samsung Internet.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 48

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Pete and welcome to the forum, the chain kit was updated for the later MK2 models but this by no way means that that were the problem rectified, MK2 cars still suffer timing chain/kit failures even the R is not failure proof with one R owner I know having had 2 timing kit replacements under warranty. Once the kit has been replaced the best way to keep everything sweet is to use the recommended oil Total 0-30W ineo first and keep the level topped up to max some engines use a little oil and this can catch out owners who don’t keep a regular check. If your oil warning too low comes up you’ve probably done damage.
Don’t be put off by this just buy the best car with a good service history and you’ll not stop smiling!