What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

BUYING ADVICE

Ricardogeorge72

Reaction score
Hi I have been saving up for some time now to purchase a MK1 RCZ 1.6 GT and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice please on what to look out for so I don't end up buying a shed.
Also does anyone know if it is possible to replace the display on the dashboard with the pop up sat Nov. Many thanks in advance.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Jacking points are made of papier mache.
Start it from cold if possible, saves you discovering it needs its timing gear changing the day after buying it. If it clatters - budget up to a grand if you buy privately and it needs doing. Ideally buy from a dealer with a warranty.
Another favourite for the petrol is high pressure fuel pump failure. Lumpy running, loss of power and CEL.
Coolant leaks, which from memory is usually from the thermostat housing.
Coil packs fail, but they're a diy job.

You possibly could fit a flip screen nav, but they aren't that good. Not to mention they're ridiculously priced if you look on eBay.

Oh, and they coke up if they've spent most of their time tootling around town. A walnut blast fixes it, I priced it up for mine though this was about 4 years ago, it was around £300 I think.

Last edited:

Ricardogeorge72

Reaction score
Thanks very much for getting back to me so quickly, it is very much appreciated. I will look at these now before purchasing and I was thinking of buying private but I now think I should buy with some warranty

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm usually wary of cheap cars. I'd rather spend more on a car from a dealer with warranty.
Especially with a car that could potentially cost a significant sum in repairs.
My RCZ had its timing gear replaced at the cheapest main dealer locally, and that was over £1000.

Don't let me put you off though, they are really enjoyable cars. Especially the 200. Unless you can stretch to an R, but they are rarer and cost a lot more money than you can get a nice 200 for.
Plus, unless you're lucky the R has its own big bill waiting. The front brakes.

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Also check that the middle brake light is OK and no LEDs out as to replace it thick end of £200.... Easy job to do yourself it's the cost of the unit...
Happy hunting for your RCZ.

Ricardogeorge72

Reaction score
I'm usually wary of cheap cars. I'd rather spend more on a car from a dealer with warranty.
Especially with a car that could potentially cost a significant sum in repairs.
My RCZ had its timing gear replaced at the cheapest main dealer locally, and that was over £1000.

Don't let me put you off though, they are really enjoyable cars. Especially the 200. Unless you can stretch to an R, but they are rarer and cost a lot more money than you can get a nice 200 for.
Plus, unless you're lucky the R has its own big bill waiting. The front brakes.
Thanks again for sharing this information. I don't think it will put me off as I believe it to be a stunning and timeless shape. I have had lots of Peugeot 407 hdi in the past but fancied a petrol rcz for a "Put a big smile on your face" car. I have noticed that almost all the leather seats seem to have lots of stretch marks in them. Is this mostly the case. Have you also fitted an after market exhaust

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are going for petrol then the 200bhp would be good to get but the 156bhp with a stage one remap will not leave you disappointed.. But the diesel is 163 bhp and can add 30 bhp with stage one remap... Excellent torque.. The choice is yours..
As for exhaust many people have put quads on the there RCZs petrol and diesel....
Happy hunting
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co

Ricardogeorge72

Reaction score
If you are going for petrol then the 200bhp would be good to get but the 156bhp with a stage one remap will not leave you disappointed.. But the diesel is 163 bhp and can add 30 bhp with stage one remap... Excellent torque.. The choice is yours..
As for exhaust many people have put quads on the there RCZs petrol and diesel....
Happy hunting
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co
Brilliant thank you. I have seen the quad's which in my opinion make the rear look even better. Is there any particular brand you can recommend for a throaty sound. I have used Scorpion on previous cars

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
From what I recall the 200 is quite a lot different than the 156.
Different gear ratios, brakes, anti roll bars. Smaller steering wheel, shorter gear lever. A different pcv system maybe.
That's what I remember, there could be more differences.

Ginge2202

Reaction score
I’m interested to know is the 200 more reliable than the 156? And what’s the maximum anyone has had their 156 remapped to?

Pedro

Reaction score
The 200GT is the same as regards to servicing but it has a twin spool turbo and uprated stiffer suspension & VVTI vale setup it gets its power from a bigger boost accelerating through 2/3/4 into 5th gear coupled with a close ration gearbox & a all leather interior with a smaller profiled steering wheel when launched it was hailed as a iconic edition alongside the R

Ricardogeorge72

Reaction score
Thanks Pedro, it sounds a little bit more special then. Do you know anything about the quad pipe conversion. Is there a better manufacturer for sound quality

Bang308

Reaction score
Try Tony Banks in Leeds he does 3 types normal sporty and loud see his advert on eBay

DKZ5745

Reaction score
There is also somewhere in Wakefield that a couple of members have used with great results, I think a little cheaper than Tony Banks, I don’t recall the company name though.

Pedro

Reaction score
Tony Banks custom exhausts in Leeds sells a lot on offer on ebay

Attachments

• rcz.2.11.jpg
    rcz.2.11.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 7