What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Black smoke when accelerating.

Dave jc

Reaction score
Hi All. Just joined the forum.
I have just brought a RCZ 2.0 GT Diesel.120000 on the clock.
Had a new cam belt fitted, a full service, mass air flow sensor cleaned, I have also used fuel additive [twice on quarter of a tank]
I had the emissions check at first it was 2.5 very high, now its just under 2.0 still a MOT failure.
Could Anyone tell me the next step to take to eradicate the black smoke.

Dave.

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
There has been RCZers on here that say that the dpf needs to get hot to burn out the build up and they say that the best way was to take it for a drive but keep it in lower gear than normal and give it a blast at 70mph then the exhaust will get hot enough to burn out all the crap etc.... Worth giving it a try

Pedro

Reaction score
Check/change the air filter ? Use a proven fuel additive in a full tank of fuel as recommended for diesels if that fails see below?
The EGR could be filthy? Heavy sooty deposits another possibility is the Lambda sensors are struggling to correct the air fuel ratio due to soot deposits
The engine is running too rich ? Intake valves could be a problem (heavy carbon build up in the chambers) not allowing enough air into the engine for proper combustion or leaking injector/ injectors or maybe gunged up?

Dave jc

Reaction score
Good Morning all. Thanks for the info above I have had a full service done ,also put two lots of fuel additive in with a quarter of a tank of fuel
and run it up the M3, cleaned the air mass flow sensor. still smoking.
Having the DPF taken off next Monday and having it put on a proper cleaning machine [not a re gen].
Is there anything else I could do while the DPF is off the car.
Appreciate any advise on the above.
DAVE

Pedro

Reaction score
Best wait until you get the DPF cleaned although one possibility of over fueling is the fuel pressure regulator - engine running too rich can mean too much fuel & not enough air in mix =black smoke

Dave jc

Reaction score
Thanks Pedro, I will look into this,
There are so many different things it can be, just trying to eliminate each one.

Dave jc

Reaction score
Hi all, just been looking around the engine bay came across two connections on the front of the engine.
the one on the right has a connection the one on the left has no connection.
Is this normal ?Its a 2.0 diesel with black smoke problems. please see photos, any thoughts please.
DAVEJC

Attachments

• 20220803_132742.jpg
    20220803_132742.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220803_132855.jpg
    20220803_132855.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220803_132748.jpg
    20220803_132748.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 17

Pedro

Reaction score
Possibly Air flow sensors but why one is not connected is a bit odd?
This is what you might be looking at Original PSA Air flow sensor with same connections

Attachments

• Air flow meter 2.0 HDI.jpg
    Air flow meter 2.0 HDI.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 9

Dave jc

Reaction score
Thank you Pedro, its going in the garage Monday for the DPF clean so i will ask them to check it out.
Thanks Again.

Dave jc

Reaction score
Hi All. I cancelled the DPF clean but I got a full diagnostics done, Glad I did .Black smoke is down to
Mass air flow sensor, and the Air temp sensor, both easy to get too, plug and play I hope.
Parts are £140.00 delivered. Pedro, thanks for your info you where right saved me a few quid.
Would anyone now if these parts are plug and play ?

Pedro

Reaction score
Hi All. I cancelled the DPF clean but I got a full diagnostics done, Glad I did .Black smoke is down to
Mass air flow sensor, and the Air temp sensor, both easy to get too, plug and play I hope.
Parts are £140.00 delivered. Pedro, thanks for your info you where right saved me a few quid.
Would anyone now if these parts are plug and play ?
Yes they just swop out old for new

Dave jc

Reaction score
I have just found out that my RCZ has a NG4 nav/radio
Can anyone tell me the best way to get DAB radio fitted or the best adapter .
Don't want wires hanging around.
Regards Dave

Dave jc

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Can you recommend a adaptor i have been looking at the pure highway.
Dave

Dave jc

Reaction score
Hi all, Just an update on black smoke issue I still have. A bit of back ground info first.
Brought the RCZ 2.0 diesel at a good price. [knew there was a problem]
Had a full service done and cam belt.
Put two lots of fuel additive at quarter of a tank

had a full diagnostic's two items below came up on diagnostics
Have changed the mass air flow sensor
have changed the air intake sensor

Also the DPF has been emptied and has been remapped ,illegal I know [I will get this rectified ASAP]
Just don't know where to go next.

Regards Dave JC

Pedro

Reaction score
You have done all the usual suspects like air metering & air filter but having a remapped DPF won't help as this will also cause black smoke so ruling out that problem
I would hazard a guess & look for injector wear issues the black smoke from diesels is a classic symptom of over fueling as the needles in the injectors become too large allowing excess fuel into the chambers hence Air/Fuel ratios way out of sync you could do a simple leak test on the injector side to check their pressure?

Dave jc

Reaction score
Thanks for for you quick reply Pedro, I will ask my local garage to do the test on injectors before I do anything else.
Regards Dave.

Dave jc

Reaction score
Hi all, I been to a couple of garages local to me but they wont touch them, I have Been told of a place in Eastleigh [30miles away]
I will try them next.
I will update as soon as can,

Pedro

Reaction score
Maybe its the DPF remap that's is putting them off?

Dave jc

Reaction score
Hi Pedro, I have found a guy that will remap £280.00 [or de map] but cannot guarantee the black smoke will stop.:confused:
my local garage will fit a DPF for a hours labour . but get the re map done first.
Also the fuel additive tank fault came up on diagnostic, low or empty.

If the car is smoking and i put a new DPF on surly this will block it up, I think I'm in a catch 22 situation.
I do appreciate your advise. and feed back.
Dave