What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Black arch (re)colouring

wilsofar

Reaction score
The colour on the black arches on my GT200 are starting to look a bit uneven.

Has anyone tried ‘bumper black‘ or similar .I’m not sure the composition is the same as plastic bumpers.

Any suggestions -the small area I tested with T cut was not good.

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I have used auto glym bumper gel on the wife's RCZ and works really well.. Hope this helps you out...
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co

wilsofar

Reaction score
Just remembered that some years ago I was given an Auto Glym pack with a newly purchased car,which I never really had much need for all the many products.

Having rooted it out I have found the bumper gel bottle which I will be trying tomorrow

Philip

Reaction score
Funnily enough, my wife used the same product (Autoglym Bumper & Trim Gel) yesterday on the roof arches on her car and it made a huge difference. Had to do 2 or 3 applications for the best result, and I'll be interested to see how long it lasts.

If you have had yours for "some years", make sure that it is the latest formulation (which is a clear gel). Also, their products do go off over time (I used to live near their HQ, and called in one day to get some advice on a bottle of their polish which had separated), so it might be worth buying a new bottle anyway.

wilsofar

Reaction score
Mine is not the clear gel but a green slime which must be at least 10 years old.

Gave it a go and within 5 minutes had restored the arches to their original colour and finish!

I wasted so much time and elbow grease trying to get the bumper black to work!

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I was at tuner feast yesterday and there was 11 RCZers there and one was an RCZ R and its black arches was in a bad way and the owner hadn't any idea of what to use one of the other RCZ owners had some auto glym bumper gel that I had given him at another meet, so I borrowed it from him and used it on the RCZ R s arches and the owner Andy was so so happy with the results that he couldn't stop thanking me. Then when we went for a look around the sellers stalls there was one selling this product....
But it doesn’t stop there.... As another owner had her chrome arches really badly watermarked so so I asked if we could use Autoglym bumper gel on her chrome arches and to all our amazement it removed the water staining from her chrome Arches and they look like mirrors when finished so there's a tip for anybody else who has a problem with bad watermarks on the Chrome arches try this see how it works for yourselves..
And yes if you are wondering it is the green gel and the labelling is green also.. Cost £7.50..
Hope this helps all you RCZers
Les n Co

turboguy

Reaction score
I have tried the newer version of the autoglm bumper trim stuff (the white stuff) and it does work really well, but does leave smear marks on the paintwork especially after it has rained.(son bought some for his car so I just borrowed it)
Wish they still make the green bumper snot as that was pretty good back in the good old days

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
There is plenty of shops that are still selling the stuff you might want to look around..
Les n Co

Bang308

Reaction score
I just bought some of the green gel stuff from Halfords yesterday

coldel

Reaction score
By some distance this stuff is the best on the market for getting your black plastics back to black.
Because it doesn't sit under a common popular brand umbrella its often not very well known but is brilliant stuff and will outlast any AG stuff by some way.

Kerr

Reaction score
By some distance this stuff is the best on the market for getting your black plastics back to black.
Because it doesn't sit under a common popular brand umbrella its often not very well known but is brilliant stuff and will outlast any AG stuff by some way.

It doesn't really work on the roof rails. It does give a temporary finish, but when it rains it makes a mess of the windows.

The best way to deal with the roof rails is a cutting compound.

coldel

Reaction score
Ah you mean the waterspots mentioned above? Are the roof rails black plastic then - or something else? I was referring to the original post about the plastic arches that needed bringing back. Solution finish on plastics is brilliant and lasts months and hasn't on what I have seen run onto paintwork once it has cured properly.

turboguy

Reaction score
I have tried using meguiars cutting compound on it and had trouble getting it off, leaving white smear marks everywhere on the roof arches on my R (maybe I need to spend a whole day doing them 🤣 only spent 2hrs just doing them and it didnt work for me). The autoglym plastic bumper trim stuff has made it black again. But doesnt seem to last long though

apple3337

Reaction score
That's a shame the Meguiars didn't work. It worked great on mine. Maybe yours were a bit more damaged. You could try using a very heavy cut polish. Something like products used on fibreglass boats that need an extra heavy cut. If you do try it, be cautious at first.

Kerr

Reaction score
Ah you mean the waterspots mentioned above? Are the roof rails black plastic then - or something else? I was referring to the original post about the plastic arches that needed bringing back. Solution finish on plastics is brilliant and lasts months and hasn't on what I have seen run onto paintwork once it has cured properly.

They don't behave like bumper plastic. It's a strange finish.

I've applied Solution Finish a few times. It only takes a minimum amount of run and the windows get smeary. Gtechniq C4 didn't really work either. Both these products are expensive. C4 pops up on Amazon on sale occasionally.

Nothing so far gives has given me a permanent solution.

A quick wipe down with 303 Aerospace is the quickest and cheapest method. It won't last long either.

apple3337

Reaction score
Mine had surface water spotting that I couldn't remove by washing. I used a mixture of Meguiars Ultimate compound and a bit of extra heavy cut boat fibreglass polish to speed the process along. Meguiars is very gentle and would've taken too long :) Before I took these photos I gave it a quick wipe with Aerospace 303. They literally look new. The compound did not smooth off the surface dimples which is what I would have expected. The UV rays are brutal in Oz, so I try and keep the car under cover as much as possible.
DSC02839.JPG

Attachments

• DSC02840.JPG
    DSC02840.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC02842.JPG
    DSC02842.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 18