What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Best products for a white car

A

Anonymous

Ok...so this isn't strictly for an RCZ but I figured that it might come in handy for the various opal and pearl owners on here too. I wondered what the best products were for a white car given my new whip is white.

I recently have my VXR a full detailing using the following products:

Valet Pro PH Neutral Snow Foam
Chemical Guys Glossworkz shampoo
Iron X
Auto Finesse ObliTARate
BriteMax Grime Out degreaser (to remove the dreadful tyre dressing that the dealership had applied)
Chemical Guys Clay Mitt with Maxi Suds II
Planet Polish Wheel Seal and Shine
GTechniq T1
GTechniq G5
Dodo Juice SN Micro Prime Polish
Definitive Wax Durus (this was largely because I was too impatient to wait for my delivery from Waxonomo of Bouncer's Vanilla Ice and had wanted to try it out since getting it months ago - it's beading impressively).

Ok, so, is there anything that would improve on my selection. I realise that the Durus is a long lasting wax and, as I say, was applied through impatience and necessity (just as well as the weather has been appalling since I applied it). I'd generally only apply it as a winter wax in future. One thing I did find tricky was being able to tell exactly where I'd applied some products, in part due to the light and in part due to the nature/colour of the product. I'm planning a trip to Polished Bliss during the week and wondered if anyone had any top tips for products for a white car (either from PB or elsewhere)?

This was the final result:

The brake discs look weird in this shot but were absolutely brand new once the car had been moved and braking forces exerted. Phew!!

RCZ1

Reaction score
On white, Werkstat Jett Trigger on top of their Prime, is hard to beat, I would say.

Unless you wanted to go down the coating route then I would suggest C1 topped with EXO.

Having said that, seeing as though you are going to Polished Bliss, I would suggest you take a look at the Gyeon product range. It's very similar to Gtechniq but look at Gyeon PRIME, which is a coating lasts about a year or so, or CANCOAT which is a spray coating, much like the original Gtechniq EXO, which is so so easy to apply (much like a QD).

Gyeon Bathe+ shampoo also contains some coating properties so use it once a month and it tops up the coating. Then possibly product of the year so far, Gyeon WET COAT. Wash your car as normal but whilst still wet spray wet coat all over the car, then power wash it. Power washing activates the product. The more you power wash the better it gets. It sheets and beads water like a demon. Lasts up to 3 months per application so in essence combined with Bathe+ and Wetcoat you would have an ever lasting coating.

There's also the "normal" Bathe shampoo which is excellent and can be used in between using Bathe+

Wetcoat is currently on my OH's car and use both the Bathe shampoos as described. Really liking these products at the moment.

Sealants / coatings do keep cars cleaner for longer.

A

Anonymous

Have been a big fan of gtechniq C1 and Exo on white and as the next ones white too might give gyeon a blast. Had been looking at CG second skin but it's quite pricey. Have got used to the longevity and durability that sealants offer over wax. That Vxr looks stunning in white :)

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
On white, Werkstat Jett Trigger on top of their Prime, is hard to beat, I would say.

Sealants / coatings do keep cars cleaner for longer.

Exactly what I was going to suggest :dance: , Werkstat is the business Matt. It is fantastic stuff to use, I use it all the time now. Steve got the set from PB on their advice for his Pearlescent white but I have to admit it pulls Amber's fleck out really well. I finished off our sealent yesterday....get me another bottle! ;) also it takes next to no time to apply. I put on another coat of sealent yesterday in 10 minutes between showers,. It is also surprisingly long lasting considering its ease of use, I keep thinking I haven't done it right, its so easy.

A

Anonymous

I always topped my white car with Collinite 476S... lasted months up here.

Attachments

• rcz2222.jpg
    rcz2222.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 9,828
A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone and thanks for the kind comment Mac! :thumbup:

Now...you've got me intrigued with the Gyeon products Kerry. They sound VERY interesting!! I read that they recommend that you use a water filter to get the best effects from the Wet Coat?!

Should I decide to use the Werkstatt range which Prime would you suggest that I use (Prime Carnuba, strong or the one that was formerly known as "Prime Acrylic")?

I assume that I would have to either remove the Durus to either break down or strip it to use either of these ranges? I currently have some Autobrite wax off which I assume would do the job if I wanted to start fresh?

As far as coatings go, they're impressive right enough but not the route that I personally wish to pursue.

Thanks for all the great advice!! :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
Should I decide to use the Werkstatt range which Prime would you suggest that I use (Prime Carnuba, strong or the one that was formerly known as "Prime Acrylic")?

We have the acrylic Werkstat set Matt, think thats because Steve has the pearlescent finish, you might be ok with the Carnuba, being a solid white? Nip out and ask what PB recommend ... but just take a debit card with you, not a credit! :lol:

A

Anonymous

I battered them an email so that I can draw up a shopping list and not be swayed from it. Think I better play it even safer and take exact cash only!! :lol:

A

Anonymous

Ok...so I got in touch with Rich at Polished Bliss to ask his advice about the products that were advised to me and to see if he could advise me about use, and if one would be any better suited than the other. This is his reply...it's only a shame that I discovered that I had it as I was on the telephone to him standing outside their units trying to get in...you'll see why this was a problem for me at the end of his reply. Hopefully it's of some help to others too. Thanks again RCZ1 for highlighting these products and for all your advice. Now...decision time (although I'm probably going down the Werkstatt route and the GYEON one for maintenance.

"There are two systems we recommend for white finishes. The first is the Werkstat Acrylic Kit, while the second is the Auto Finesse Tough Kit. Both are very easy to use and give good durability, with a very simple topping up procedure as and when required. The key differences between them concern price and aesthetics. Price-wise, Werkstat is almost twice as expensive, but does feature three products rather than two, and comes in larger volume bottles. The cost is therefore upfront, with its overall value for money being about the same. In terms of aesthetics, which is the bigger deal, the Werkstat gives a very sharp, highly reflective finish that looks wet and shiny, whereas the Tough Kit gives a slightly softer finish that looks much wetter and glossier, more akin to a wax finish. In fairness, this difference isn't huge, and both systems look very eye-catching. You can find out more on these links...

Werkstat Acrylic Kit - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... -cat1.html (some example images on white cars in the second drop down section on this link - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... ction.html )

Auto Finesse Tough Kit - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... -cat1.html (see the video tab for a demo of what this looked like on my solid white C30, which was recently sold)

With regards to the two GYEON products mentioned... both BATHE+ and WETCOAT are maintenance products, i.e. they are designed to top up existing layers of synthetic protection, not act as a substitute for it. I use both products on our cars and they are fantastic, but I wouldn't rely on either of them alone for paint protection purposes. Specifically concerning the WETCOAT, we absolutely recommend rinsing it off with a pressure washer? See the info below (copied from the How To Use tab)...

"GYEON Q2M WETCOAT comes pre-diluted to the correct strength for safe exterior use, and should be applied to completely clean, wet surfaces at the end of your usual wash process. For best results, spray GYEON Q2M WETCOAT onto all exterior surfaces as thinly and evenly as possible (as an approximate guide you should be able to treat an average-sized car using around 100 ml of product) and then leave it to dwell for 2-3 minutes before rinsing it off thoroughly at high pressure (the use of a pressure washer is recommended). Working from the bottom of the car upwards (to help fill-in any missed bits), be sure to rinse away every last trace of residue and then towel the car dry, or else rinse it again with filtered water if you intend to leave it to dry naturally. If you find yourself using too much product try misting each panel just a couple of times and then spread the product as thinly and evenly as possible using a fresh wash mitt (soak it with warm water first). To help maintain the effect, use GYEON Q2M BATHE+ every time you wash your car."

With regard to the existing wax protection on the car; to use either of the above systems successfully you will need to remove this first. The quickest and easiest way to do this is by using Autosmart Tardis; this is a spirit-based solvent that cuts through old products residues with ease, and is an ideal preparatory product for white cars (as it will remove tar spots and other organic contaminants in the process). I can't comment on the suitability or otherwise of your Dodo Juice product as we haven't tested it and cannot therefore make a meaningful comparison with anything we stock.

Autosmart Tardis - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... -cat6.html (see demo video for how to use instructions and product usage tips)

I hope this helps but if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to fire away - we're always happy to help.

Best regards,

Rich

PS - Please note that we no longer operate a walk-in facility - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/blog/201 ... customers/

A

Anonymous

Have ordered the gyeon bathe and wet coat myself yesterday funny enough gonna give it a go on the RCZ. Have also bought gtechniq C1&exo for her indoors juke we're lifting the marra that my weekend sorted. Gonna try out my da on her juke 1st practice makes perfect.

RCZ1

Reaction score
Ah yes, I'd forgotten that Polished Bliss had stopped their walk in facility. Probably a good thing for you ;)

With regards to Werkstat. There are 3 Primes. Acrylic, Carnauba and Strong. Strong is highly recommended but the normal Acrylic Prime is also very, very good. You will be surprised how much dirt this pulls off your car even when you think it's super clean.

The Gyeon Bathe+ and Wetcoat are top up products which as I said, will prolong the life of any of the Gyeon coatings or indeed Gtechniq coating, When I finally get round to giving my OH's car a full detail, it will get Gtechniq coatings and these Gyeon will be used to to maintain it.

The Wetcoat you only need a water filter for if you plan on leaving the car to dry naturally rather than drying it with a towel. I use a water filter (DI vessel) and it works brilliantly with Wetcoat.

A

Anonymous

I've not been on DW all that much in recent months and have mostly been working off my stockpile of products so hadn't read anything about their walk in service having ended. :(

It's the Acrylic range that they're recommending to me. I just am not certain if I require all three of the products and the cloths etc within their kit. Is the Glos essential do you think Kerry? The Auto Finesse Toughcoat is certainly a cheaper outlay but I'm not entirely certain quite why but I'm just not leaning that way. I have sometimes found some of their products to be a little style over substance. I'd get nailed for saying that on DW!! :lol:

In regards to the Gyeon products, how frequently should they be applied? Will the Bathe+ and Wetcoat be affected by other shampoos? Do you solely use these in tandem? How good are their cleaning properties and what's the dilution rate like for the Bathe+?

Also (and sorry to ask a million questions), is there any benefit to using a water filter? Does it entirely negate the need for drying the car down or does it still leave water spots?

Thanks for all your help and advice. I trust and value your advice and judgement ENTIRELY!! :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

The Glos is a good detailer Matt :) I rend to just use those three products nowadays.....

A

Anonymous

From what I've been reading this evening, Werkstatt have often been accused of pretty much sharing chemical compounds and buying directly from Carlack. However, I then unearthed this on DW which sees the former reject this accusation entirely. See the following letter:

RCZ1

Reaction score
As Donna said, Glos is a good Detailer and does live up to its name to add a nice gloss / shine.

I've used the AF products they recommended but did not think that they were better than the Werkstat. I used them on Pearl and felt the finish was crisper with Werkstat, which is what I feel is required on white.

The cloths that come with the kit are lovely and soft so would recommend the full kit.

I put Wetcoat on my husband's car, which lasts up to 3 months. So it will provide some protection for quite some time. I then use Bathe+ once a month just as a top up. I use 15ml in my bucket so you don't use that much each time. The other times I wash the car I use any of my pure shampoos ie they don't contain waxes or gloss enhancers to interfere with the Gyeon coating properties. The normal Gyeon Bathe shampoo is excellent. It just keeps creating suds when you think they are dying off. Definitely one of the best shampoos I've used. Both Bathe and Bathe+ are very good cleaning shampoos but beware. Bathe+ does not sud up like a normal shampoo because of what it contains but as I said, a very good cleaner.

With regards to the water filter. I live in a very hard water area so leaving a car to dry is a big no no. However I do use a water filter which I would not be without. I bought a TDS Meter to measure how pure the water was before the filter and after. Before filtering m, straight out of the tap, it read around 450 ppm. After filtering the water the reading was 0ppm so that's a massive difference. I've never totally left the car to dry though but I could if I so wished, knowing it would not leave water marks. You can't use it via a power washer. You use it for the final rinse via the open hose method..

I used to own the Aqua Gleam filter but once it's finished you have to dispose of the whole unit and start again. It's about £70. I then bought a refurbished 11L DI vessel off eBay (empty) and 10L of resin and filled the vessel with the resin. When the resin starts to lose its effectiveness, which I check regularly with the TDS meter, I can replace the old resin. The vessel and the resin cost me slightly less than the AG filter but as the new one is refillable it's more cost effective in the long run.

This is a link to the water filter. I offered £21 as a best buy which was accepted
http://bit.ly/1hP5UxJ

Don't get a filter less than 11L as they don't work as well.

Link to resin
http://bit.ly/1a7tqxG

I hope this helps Matt and if you have any further questions, fire away.

Blog: http://rczandme.wordpress.com/

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice Kerry!! Can't tell you how much I appreciate it. There may be more questions yet though if that's ok?!

I did go to order the Werkstatt Acrylic kit and Gyeon recommendations today but they're sold of the former and have advised me that it'll be 7-10 days before they have a restock. They're going to advise me of when it arrives. Instead I bought some DJ "Born to Be Mild" (I assume that this counts as a "pure shampoo with no gloss enhancers etc?), some replacement Tardis and a new Autobrite snow foam lance and Magifoam using the DW offer (which I believe has been sent and is due to arrive tomorrow) because my old one is knackered. :cry: Will either the Magifoam or VP PH Neutral one affect the Gyeon or Werkstatt products? I'm assuming the latter one shouldn't...?

I'm very tempted by the water filter set up that you provided info and links too. We live in a soft water area and I always dry the car down so that might have to wait for now but I'm very intrigued by it. Instead I'm trying to negotiate a deal for a Metro Blaster... :lol:

RCZ1

Reaction score
DJ Born To Be Mild is a pure shampoo Matt so will be fine. With regards to the snow foam, the VP will be absolutely fine. I've not used Magifoam and after doing a quick search it would appear that it is LSP safe. Seems to have a very long cling time of 30 minutes, which seems a bit excessive and would definitely be prone to water marking in my hard water area. Incidentally I top up my snow foam bottle with filtered water to help eliminate water marks.

Are you thinking of the full blown Metro Blaster or the Sidekick? I have the Sidekick and it does not get a lot of use.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Kerry!! 30 minutes cling time?! Yeah...I'm never going to leave it that long!! Apart from the water marks that you highlight it also adds a ridiculous amount of time to the wash time!

It's the full blown Blaster that I'm leaning towards. It's just a case of striking a deal. I did toy with the blaster but am thinking that it's probably too small for doing a whole car. If I can reach a mutually acceptable figure for the Blaster then awesome. It's good old fashioned drying towels for now if not!

RCZ1

Reaction score
You definitely can't dry a whole car with the Sidekick so the Blaster would be ideal. I know someone who is selling the Blaster for £180 which includes FedEx Next Day Delivery. Only used a couple of times. If you are interested I can let him know.