What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Best oil catch can + New air intake

Valex

Reaction score
New project :)!
Are weeks that I'm looking to install an oil catch can to collect the oil vapors that are recirculated to the motor intake and that they cause one of the most know problem with these direct injection motors: the large amounts of carbon build up on the intake valves.
I bought already a baffled catch can like this (Miscimoto clone):
Catch.jpg
but going on with my researches I found out that the bronze filter and the design of the inlet/outlet are to restrictive and could cause the crankcase pressure increase and cause oil leaks.

So in the end I found the Provent 200 mabe by Mann-Hummel that looks the best option. It is bigger (a lot bigger) than the regular catch can but it has an overpressure security valve and the inlet and outlet are 25mm in diameter so the same diameter as the inlet on the turbo intake conduct and the outlet on the rocker cover. The 200 is designed for big diesel engines. There is also a smaller version (Provent 100).
Provent 200.jpg

here how it is working:

The original one is expensive but the Chinese clone not ;).
Some other video that I found interesting:

The only issue I can see is the space on the engine compartment, but I was already thinking to remove some "plastic" (original filter box and all the air conducts) installing a direct intake like the Forge
DS3_Forge_Intake_1-1-e1515847847197.jpg
but with a BMC CDA filter
CDA.jpg
( Just to stay on the same theme with the carbon roof and mirrors covers :) )

The Provent 200 will replace the right PCV hose and, now that I have already the smaller oil catch, the "Miscimoto", I will use it on the rear PCV hose instead of do the rear PCV delete (other long story to discuss o_O).

Question:
Regarding the direct air intake, anyone know if this can cause some engine fault code on the RCZ? I read some comment but regarding other cars. I don't want drive with the Check engine light on :rolleyes:.

jhon watson

Reaction score
If you need filter service or you need other services please try the manyautosltd once try I hope you will never forget them I have also tried and now I like very much I am impress because the services are very professional and affordable I think cheaper then other garages I find this car service near me and now I always try this thery are also offering for the instalment plan to help the customer

Valex

Reaction score
If you need filter service or you need other services please try the manyautosltd once try I hope you will never forget them I have also tried and now I like very much I am impress because the services are very professional and affordable I think cheaper then other garages I find this car service near me and now I always try this thery are also offering for the instalment plan to help the customer
I live in The Netherlands ... little too far :) . And as much I can I like the DIY philosophy.

Valex

Reaction score
I just removed the air intake duct that goes from the air filter box to the turbo inlet. I was looking for some dimensions and I wanted to check the amount of oil coming from the PCV hose.
WOW :eek:! It is really a lot o_O! poor intake valves :rolleyes:!
I'm really curious to see how much oil will collect the oil catch can.
Something that surprised me, is how small the duct and the turbo inlet are. It is just 40 mm in diameter where all the air must flow true :oops:
20210424_140411.jpg 20210424_140631.jpg

Jumper

Reaction score
Surely the catch can needs to be on the other side of the engine cover. The turbo side just supplies air from that pipe into rocker cover. Then it goes though the PCV valve inside the rocker cover and comes at the back left side of the rocker cover and sends the air and oil mist into the throttle body. So I would have thought that's the side you need to catch the oil before it goes into the throttle body. There wont be any oil on the turbo side.

Valex

Reaction score
Surely the catch can needs to be on the other side of the engine cover. The turbo side just supplies air from that pipe into rocker cover. Then it goes though the PCV valve inside the rocker cover and comes at the back left side of the rocker cover and sends the air and oil mist into the throttle body. So I would have thought that's the side you need to catch the oil before it goes into the throttle body. There wont be any oil on the turbo side.
The turbo side oil breather hose vacuum the vapors from the rocker cover. And I can tell you, all the turbo inlet, the boost pipes and the intercooler are full of oil!
I just removed them last weekend and cleaned them. The turbo side breather hose is the main one. The rear one, the one that vacuum directly from the intake manifold is secondary and many people delete it with two of these plugs:
plug 1.JPG plug 2.JPG

It is an original Peugeot part, just search 0361S4

tm2204

Reaction score
The turbo side oil breather hose vacuum the vapors from the rocker cover. And I can tell you, all the turbo inlet, the boost pipes and the intercooler are full of oil!
I just removed them last weekend and cleaned them. The turbo side breather hose is the main one. The rear one, the one that vacuum directly from the intake manifold is secondary and many people delete it with two of these plugs:
View attachment 11233 View attachment 11234

It is an original Peugeot part, just search 0361S4
Not recommended.

Ideally you need a catch can on both ends... one to protect the turbo and the other on the inlet side to minimize carbon buildup on the back of the inlet valves... it doesn't eliminate carbon buildup it just helps If your going to use only 1 catch can put it on the turbo side to protect your turbo somewhat.

Valex

Reaction score
Not recommended.

Ideally you need a catch can on both ends... one to protect the turbo and the other on the inlet side to minimize carbon buildup on the back of the inlet valves... it doesn't eliminate carbon buildup it just helps If your going to use only 1 catch can put it on the turbo side to protect your turbo somewhat.
That's why I'm going to place two oil catch cans :).
Where I founded most of the oil was on the boost hose pleats, more on the one that exit the intercooler.
Boost hoses.jpg

I cannot imagine how much oil must be collected in the lower part of the intercooler o_O.

Last edited:

Valex

Reaction score
I should open a new thread named "air intake with rocket science applied :cool:" 🤣 but I continue this one because after months I finished (almost) my project and I had the time to post it.

After waiting all the components, most from Aliexpress, this is the results:
20210815_164233.jpg

The fake Provent 200 oil catch can was too big so I removed all the original air filter box:
20210703_140950.jpg

I replaced it with a fake K&N Apollo with some upgrades:
A real K&N cartridge from UK with a 3D printer Von Karman rocket nose cone and a trumpet intake (from an air ventilation cover :oops:)
FPLY3WKIACFKPPV.png 20210808_135830.jpg 20210807_165227.jpg

And this is the result:
20210815_162626.jpg 20210815_162831.jpg 20210815_162754.jpg 20210815_162734.jpg

20210815_164317.jpg

The grey flange is cut off from a plastic chopping board :oops:.
It is fitting perfectly, the white "trumpet" is just 1-2 mm from the headlight lid :)!
The cone filter is also mounted in the "wrong" direction but I was inspired from here: Technology | Eventuri ;)

Last edited:

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks awesome how’s the car drive now? Any real improvement?

Valex

Reaction score
No idea about real improvements, just a little more placebo effect with the noise of the cone intake aligned with the turbo impeller.
I like the low tone when I give gas with a too long gear 😁 .
There is also a soft psfffff noise when I change gear but this one I had already before when I installed the 5 Euro Aliexpress blow off spacer.
spacer.JPG

But nothing is extremely loud. With the windows close I hear almost nothing.

I'm not looking to improve the performances. The main goal of this project is to reduce the carbon build-up on the intake valves. Removing the original air box will save also time in case I want remove the intake manifold. To be able to remove the air box I had to remove also the battery o_O.
The next step is to place another oil catch can on the left PCV breather hose.

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
Good set up but does it collect all the oil vapours? People who have fitted different options with the Oil catch set up have discovered oil is still blown into the valve chambers so is it worth all the expense when you could pay a one off price & have the carbon walnut blasted procedure done then it would be good for another60.000 Mls
The cone filter looks good but will it induce more hot air into the Air intake?

Valex

Reaction score
The oil catcher is collecting oil, I can see from the drain hose. Maybe it is not 100% but is better than nothing. And from review I saw this Provent 200 should be more efficient than the classic oil catchers.
Most of the components are from Aliexpress, include the original K&N cartridge (from a UK website) I spent less than 200 Euro.
When I will need do the walnuts blasting I will save at least one hour labor costs for remove all the original air box :) .
In 2-3 months I will open again the intercooler boost hoses and see if I will find all the oil like before.

About the cone filter, it is taking the air from exactly the same place as the original but the way to the turbo intake is much shorter. On the original air box, the conducts are longer and tortuous and the box is on the top of the motor and the plastic is easily warming up.
I think it is there just because in other cars with the same motor (like the DS3 or the Mini) there is less space for a different position and during the assembly of the car it is more easy to just have the air box already mounted on the top of the motor.

Just to say something, as I wrote all this project is rocket science ;). It is just play, have fun and enjoy the work :).

Last edited:

Jumper

Reaction score
The oil catcher is collecting oil, I can see from the drain hose. Maybe it is not 100% but is better than nothing. And from review I saw this Provent 200 should be more efficient than the classic oil catchers.
Most of the components are from Aliexpress, include the original K&N cartridge (from a UK website) I spent less than 200 Euro.
When I will need do the walnuts blasting I will save at least one hour labor costs for remove all the original air box :) .
In 2-3 months I will open again the intercooler boost hoses and see if I will find all the oil like before.

About the cone filter, it is taking the air from exactly the same place as the original but the way to the turbo intake is much shorter. On the original air box, the conducts are longer and tortuous and the box is on the top of the motor and the plastic is easily warming up.
I think it is there just because in other cars with the same motor (like the DS3 or the Mini) there is less space for a different position and during the assembly of the car it is more easy to just have the air box already mounted on the top of the motor.

Just to say something, as I wrote all this project is rocket science ;). It is just play, have fun and enjoy the work :).
Fascinating read. A catch can should have been fitted from new in my opinion by Peugeot. Please update again in the future so we can see if over a period of time it does actually catch a lot of oil. Your right about that air intake. On a 156 the only thing blocking it from the engine is the black resonator box that does nothing ! And the cold air is supplied from behind the headlight anyway lol. So I guess you shouldn't have any issues with your set up. Probably sounds better now. After trying three different set ups of air filters K&N, Piper Cross and a Mushroom filter. I found the most responsive is what I have now. A Piper Cross Cone inside the airbox connected directly on to the Turbo inlet and resting in the air box so it still gets the same amount of cold air via the original airbox inlet pipe.

Valex

Reaction score
Last week I received from Aliexpress these things
45.JPG connector.JPG

and, together with what I had already, the oil catch can

oil catch.JPG

3 of these

Hose barb.JPG

2 pieces of oil hose and a Teflon connector/adaptor (that I did by myself with my mini lathe) I put in place this

20211004_165601.jpg

Going back to the right side oil catch can, I drained the transparent hose (see previous posts) and this is the oil collected
20211004_171530.jpg

40 ml in ~ 4000-5000 km :rolleyes:

I'm curious to see which oil catch can will collect more oil. After a couple of days going around with Torque pro (app) and looking at the vacuum/boost gauge, I can tell that 80-90 % of the time it is on vacuum and this means that it should suck most of the time from the rear hose and only when it is on boost from the right hose (the one that goes to the turbo).

For the air filter, I received also the prefilter bag :)
20210918_161226.jpg 20210918_161218.jpg

Ali is so happy with me 😁 !

Last edited: