What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Battery charge or Electric Supply Fault

Dawit

Reaction score
Dears, can any one give me an idea!
I have Peugeot 3008 and got this faulty message [battery charge or Electric supply fault]. I took it to a technician, get scanned and the battery is fully charging, the alternator is functioning well but there is no fault code on the ECU yet the battery light is on ...on the dashboard.
I have no idea what to check...please help

Thanks

Pedro

Reaction score
Dears, can any one give me an idea!
I have Peugeot 3008 and got this faulty message [battery charge or Electric supply fault]. I took it to a technician, get scanned and the battery is fully charging, the alternator is functioning well but there is no fault code on the ECU yet the battery light is on ...on the dashboard.
I have no idea what to check...please help

Thanks
Check all the Earth connections make sure all the terminals are tight especially on the starter motor!

Jellybasher

Reaction score
Hi, I had exactly the same on my RCZ so I did the sensible thing first and changed the battery...no joy. I then did a really stupid thing and took it to
Peugeot who charged me 90 quid to tell me I had an intermittent fault that could be a number of things so they wouldn't change anything under warranty. For the next week I drove my car with a multimeter on the seat next to me wired up to the battery to see what was going on. It all looked ok from a charge point if view. So I decided it must be the battery management module ( box on top of battery ) at fault. A quick purchase on eBay and fitted in minutes. Fault gone and sorted. And even better the fuel pump failed a few weeks before warranty ran out...thanks Peugeot. Try and borrow one and see if it sorts your problem.

Mitch 41

Reaction score
Thanks Jellybasher. Same problem with my RCZ. Stays on for few seconds MOT soon will wait till then for remedy.

hells bells

Reaction score
I have this problem on my RCZ. Occasionally it will not start. Eventually it does but takes multiple attempts, can try for up to an hour "Electrical supply or battery charge fault" message appears. Once it starts message goes to "AWS brakes not working" for a few seconds. Then that message disappears and it is fine again. There doesn't seem to be any problem whilst driving and brakes etc all fine. I've already spent a huge amount having investigations done with no success at Peugeot and my local dealer. Any suggestions? .

apple3337

Reaction score

hells bells

Reaction score
Thankyou so much! I will try this and let you know the outcome. Really appreciate the support on this site.

apple3337

Reaction score
Thankyou so much! I will try this and let you know the outcome. Really appreciate the support on this site.
Seems to me the forum members know more than the so called "experts"! I'm glad I didn't fork out hundreds of dollars to a mechanic trying to get it sorted with no guarantee of success! Please update when you have it sorted. It all adds to the knowledge base here.

Legin76

Reaction score
I've got a similar issue to this and wanted to check.

I get random "Battery charge or Electric Supply Fault - STOP" messages pop up.

There appears to be no consistency to it, I can go a 10 journeys with no message, then it will happen on three in a row. It usually only happens shortly after starting and will flash on and off two or three times for a second or two then not again. Usually only when the car is going slowly (30 or less) or stopped and occasionally has stayed on for up to 5 mins or so. No report or error shows in the logs. The battery is a few months old and was happening before it was changed. Once or twice I think it's come on when going over a speedbump or pot hole but most of the time that is not the case. It does not appear to affect the performance in any way and I don't think there are any real issues.. I've checked all the connections to the battery and any others I can see / reach by giving them a waggle but none appear to be loose or cause the error while doing it. Is this also likely to be the battery manager? I have an RAC warranty so want to try and get it fixed while I can on that.

apple3337

Reaction score
Sounds like the same as mine. This issue won't throw up an error code either. Unfortunately mechanics seem to over rely on error codes to solve issues these days. And RCZ's are famous for throwing up error codes that may not be true! Swapping the circuit board will be a good start.

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
Sounds like the same as mine. This issue won't throw up an error code either. Unfortunately mechanics seem to over rely on error codes to solve issues these days. And RCZ's are famous for throwing up error codes that may not be true! Swapping the circuit board will be a good start.
Yeah that's why you need someone that is a true expert with honesty and integrity, not someone that just reads codes and takes them at face value, changes parts and hopes for the best.

Often times, one failing sensor or component can result in other connected components also throwing codes and that is why it's so easy for dodgy mechanics to say 'see, this code says we need to change your entire transmission', meanwhile, the issue was a single sensor etc.

In fact this type of scenario happened with the RCZ I just bought. The previous owner was having this same exact 'Battery charge...' error message pop up, it was listed on the workshop receipt as 'charging system not working at times'.

So of course, the 'expert' mechanics charged $1400 for a new alternator plus parts and labor which DIDN'T fix the issue because I got the same message a few days ago, it may have played a part in why she traded it in. They would rather charge some poor old lady thousands of dollars than do their damn job and properly diagnose the issue, in this case they could have tested the alternator etc.

Either way, sounds like swapping that circuit board you mentioned is the way to go so I've got one on the way, cheers!

Legin76

Reaction score
Thanks. Let me know if it fixes it. I did wonder if it's there alternator but don't get any battery issues. I think it's small voltage fluctuations. Enough for it to detect but not too cause an actual problem.

apple3337

Reaction score
I got my car second hand. Looking at the history, it had a new alternator fitted!!! I suspect they were trying to fix this issue. Of course it had nothing to do with the alternator!