What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Asphalt (matt grey) paint chip

A

Anonymous

Hi all, just wondering if anyone here in the forums can help me with a little situation. I've just recently got my Asphalt RCZ only last weekend and noticed a small chip on the paintwork that has actually gone through the coats and down to the metal.

I've asked people around me if the fact that it is matt paint makes it more difficult to repair or whether it's just a run of the mill paint repair that can be done properly by myself or a shop. I made an enquiry with ChipsAway who subsequently said they weren't going to go near it and suggested I go to Peugeot directly. I wouldn't be half as concerned if the chip hadn't gone through the coats but I'd hate to see rust form around it if I leave it too long.

I hope someone out there can give me some advice as I'm by no means an expert on car paint, let alone matt paint!

Joshua

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I think there are all kind of problems touching the asphalts up, and it is probably best leaving it to the people you can take it back to if it's not right.

BTW, if the chip is on the bonnet, it won't rust cos they're made of aluminium :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the help. The chip is near the rear wheel arch unfortunately! The guys at ChipsAway said there's no problem whatsoever finding the colour etc, it's just the top coat and blending it in with the rest of the matt finish. For peace of mind I was going to get the paint code and see if I can get my hands on the actual colour from Peugeot.

2retro

Reaction score
I believe Peugeot originally give each Asphalt customer kit containing Peugeot approved shampoo, insect remover, tar remover, cloths, chamois leather, etc. and they do give some very specific instructions/warnings regarding the matt paint:

- Never clean the paint without water
- Never use an automatic car wash with brushes or rollers
- Never polish the vehicle or the alloy wheels. This will cause polished areas to appear in the paint
- Never use paint cleaners, abrasive products or polishes or high gloss paint protection products (wax for example). These products are only suitable for non matt finishes. Using them on a vehicle with a matt finish will seriously damage the painted surface of the vehicle and in particular will cause IRREVERSIBLE staining or polished areas to appear.
- Do not use high pressure jet wash lances fitted with brushes as they may scratch the paint
- Never select a wash programme that finishes with a hot wax
- Never wash the vehicle using any abrasive cleaning equipment (cleaning brushes, household sponges, etc.) and always use a high pressure jet wash and cleaning materials made of soft, non-abrasive materials (micro fibre, clean chamois leather, etc.)
- Do not polish, nor apply wax, nor use abrasive household cleaners
- Do not rub off deposits of any kind (bird droppings, insects, tar, etc.) but soak them with the appropriate cleaner to soften them and make their removal easier"

So basically if you get a scratch it cannot be polished out as the polishing will remove the matt effect. The only option is to live with it or get the affected panel repainted/repaired so hopefully you can get it sorted to your satisfaction. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

2retro said:
I believe Peugeot originally give each Asphalt customer kit containing Peugeot approved shampoo, insect remover, tar remover, cloths, chamois leather, etc. and they do give some very specific instructions/warnings regarding the matt paint:

- Never clean the paint without water
- Never use an automatic car wash with brushes or rollers
- Never polish the vehicle or the alloy wheels. This will cause polished areas to appear in the paint
- Never use paint cleaners, abrasive products or polishes or high gloss paint protection products (wax for example). These products are only suitable for non matt finishes. Using them on a vehicle with a matt finish will seriously damage the painted surface of the vehicle and in particular will cause IRREVERSIBLE staining or polished areas to appear.
- Do not use high pressure jet wash lances fitted with brushes as they may scratch the paint
- Never select a wash programme that finishes with a hot wax
- Never wash the vehicle using any abrasive cleaning equipment (cleaning brushes, household sponges, etc.) and always use a high pressure jet wash and cleaning materials made of soft, non-abrasive materials (micro fibre, clean chamois leather, etc.)
- Do not polish, nor apply wax, nor use abrasive household cleaners
- Do not rub off deposits of any kind (bird droppings, insects, tar, etc.) but soak them with the appropriate cleaner to soften them and make their removal easier"

So basically if you get a scratch it cannot be polished out as the polishing will remove the matt effect. The only option is to live with it or get the affected panel repainted/repaired so hopefully you can get it sorted to your satisfaction. :thumbup:

That's one big respray area. *gulp*

Absolutely no chance of a small touch up then?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Maybe, with the finest of brushes, you could put the smallest possible drop of maybe a grey primer into the actual chip, taking care not to go over the edges (perhaps masking it first). Grey primer dries Matt and would be sufficient to protect any exposed metal. You could experiment mixing it with a silver or lighter grey paint to get a similar colour before actually applying it.

Just a thought if it's only the smallest chip, as a respray of the entire panel will cost an arm & a leg & might still not look exactly the same as the rest of the car when done. :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice, worth considering when the time comes around to get it done! It's probably the first of many marks/scratches I'll accumulate in time so probably am overreaction. Just worried about it rusting is all!

Lordie

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. The chip is near the rear wheel arch unfortunately! The guys at ChipsAway said there's no problem whatsoever finding the colour etc, it's just the top coat and blending it in with the rest of the matt finish. For peace of mind I was going to get the paint code and see if I can get my hands on the actual colour from Peugeot.
Hi did you get the paint code if so could you pass it on to me
Thank you