What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Air con gone

Petrus Doyle

Reaction score
With recent higher temperatures I found my air conditioning does not chill the air at all. I have booked in for a recharge, garage man says they run dye through to check for leaks, could it be any thing else?

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Car's AC run "dry" when:
- not used for months or years
- not used regularly (at least once a week for about 30 minutes, also during cold winter)
- have a leak (but then the gas disappears quicker than the usual "not used for a long period")

Recharging incl the correct amount of compressor oil should fix that issue.
You can also ask the service to screen the system for leaks. They have special fluids for that which under UV light disclose any gas leaks in the system.

Petrus Doyle

Reaction score
Thanks for advices, only had car 3 months so how previous one lady owner, yes really, used ac is a mystery

Petrus Doyle

Reaction score
Auto is tried each day after car gas been running for a while on LO - 14 and 19 in turn with no cooling effect, having Windows open in this weather is fine for now, not as good as putting roof down on my previous 307cc. I'll report back next week after garage has checked

OkeyStokey

Reaction score
My car has been mainly unused due to lockdown etc. Started making more trips recently and noticed no aircon either.

I am guessing not using the car makes the gas charge deplete quicker than if it was used regularly? Just a guess though as all aircon systems require recharging at some point (I dont think it needs doing every year, like the rechargers advise though).

Halfords had reduced their (normally £35) air con diagnostic to £0 yesterday. Booked mine in and system was healthy, just needed the recharge (which is £50).
Just thought it might be worth mentioning in case it gives you another option.

Marmite

Reaction score
Mine went to last week after getting weaker over the last year just got it serviced yesterday at f1 auto centre £59 inc vat it’s like a fridge again takes about half hour while you wait Halfords in Norwich wanted £ 84.00

Last edited:

Mikefranky

Reaction score
Halfords in Norwich wanted £ 84.00
£84 is scandalous.......Keep an eye on Groupon deals I’ve had mine done at Ats for £35 for last couple years(Different cars)
Took my Rcz out this morning stuck a thermometer in centre vent Aircon was down to 3 degrees...cant complain with that.

Kerr

Reaction score
Kwik fit are £60. There was a 10% discount code available last week when I Googled for a discount code.

Jumper

Reaction score
IMG_20200701_183113332_HDR.jpg
I'm not sure of your level of competence with maintenance but mine wasn't as cool as it should be last year. So I bought the pressure gauge and Gas refill can off Ebay and did it myself for £30. Obviously when you use all the can you still have the pressure gauge and connector to use again so you only need to buy the refill Gas next time you need it topping up. Instructions provided with the kit. Its really easy to do.

Jumper

Reaction score
I thought about this but I didn’t know if it purged the system first before refilling ! Maybe it does but I can’t see how ?
If there is a leak in the system somewhere i.e. condenser, pump fault, pressure lines then this wont work. It's purely for topping up. The instructions explain what the pressure should be before and after topping up. For example if its a low reading before and after re filling it with the Gas then the aircon system has a leak. In that case you need it pressure tested at a garage and dye applied to find the leak and component changes. The same company also provide a sealant product in a Can that you can use before re filling with Gas. I haven't used that so dont know if it works. But my Gas re fill has been fine for over a year now.

Flanners

Reaction score
Just booked 2 with ATS via Quidco and Groupon for just over £30 each.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
If there is a leak in the system somewhere i.e. condenser, pump fault, pressure lines then this wont work. It's purely for topping up. The instructions explain what the pressure should be before and after topping up. For example if its a low reading before and after re filling it with the Gas then the aircon system has a leak. In that case you need it pressure tested at a garage and dye applied to find the leak and component changes. The same company also provide a sealant product in a Can that you can use before re filling with Gas. I haven't used that so dont know if it works. But my Gas re fill has been fine for over a year now.
And how to ensure the appropriate amount of oil is added to the system?

Petrus Doyle

Reaction score
Charging didn't work, car booked for check of electrics and compressor in 10 days, will sweat til then