What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

156 performance ?

A

Anonymous

Hi there I was going to buy a rcz 200 gt but the deal fell through it's the only version I have test driven , I don't really need 200bhp although I want a fast ish good drive , the question is how's the 156 gt for performance / handling ,, thanks in advance alan

A

Anonymous

It's like the 200 only slower softer and don't corner as well. Apart from that it's good ;). And yes I've driven all 4 models :)

A

Anonymous

the 200 gt , has bigger 19inch wheels smaller steering wheel , more chassis bracing under subframe etc to make it more responsive on handling

the 156 and hdi are a bit less drivable . the rczr is another step up from the 200gt

A

Anonymous

Tat what was your budget on a 200? Send me a private message if you prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

I've just about done the deal on the 156 and it's a gt spec not the sport so it has full everything and 19 alloys it a 61 plate in matalic charcoal gray 17000 mls full history £ 13300 getting £1100 part ex for my 61 plate ds3 hdi 110 , obviously it's going to be faster than my ds3 , and slower than the 200bhp rcz I just really wanted to know if it's still got some pull to it and is ther mod / chips available for it if I want a bit more bhp in the future maybe like 180/190 bhp

RCZ1

Reaction score
Take it from me, the 156 is no slouch. Get the revs up, drop it to third and put your foot down and its great fun. Leaves many a car in its wake.Someone said earlier that the 156 did not corner as well as the 200.. If that's the case the 200 must be absolutely phenomenal as the 156 goes round corners almost completely flat. It's a very accomplished car and fun to drive. I don't think you would be disappointed.

Blog: http://rczandme.wordpress.com/

A

Anonymous

Yes I think you'll be right m8 , I think my 110 hdi ds3 is nippy plenty of torque some Iam sure a 156bhp petrol turbo should do the trick ,, have you had any of the thp issues with yours ie timing chain tension or any problems ? Iam getting a 2 yr warranty for peace of mind just hope I don't get any problems but a 17000 ml 61 should have had any problems dealt with if it had any hopefully

RCZ1

Reaction score
My first 156 RCZ had the timing problem but that was quickly resolved in a day by my dealer. My current 156 RCZ has has the temp sensor problem and again this was soon sorted out and didn't leave me off the road. The 2 year warranty is a good thing but don't worry about the car going wrong. Instead get behind the wheel and take it for spin and just enjoy it :)

A

Anonymous

I was surprised by the comment about the 156 and HDi as I have the HDi and for me at least it goes around corners as if on rails. My nerves/ability will give out long before my car. It also has more poke than the roads in the UK allow you to make full use of. I don't think that any normal mature driver could possibly be disappointed with any of the engines in the range. (when I say mature, I mean as in been through the boy racer stage and now wants to keep a clean driving licence, but still get a frill out of driving)

A

Anonymous

Yes Iam no boy racer anymore 43yr old just want a good driving car with a good bit overtaking poke when needed ,, what are the temp sensor symptoms to look for , the 200bho a test drive had the fan going after a 15 min drive when I pulled back on the forecourt , sounded a bit iffy for a cool day and short drive

frankvdb

Reaction score
OO58RON said:
I was surprised by the comment about the 156 and HDi as I have the HDi and for me at least it goes around corners as if on rails. My nerves/ability will give out long before my car. It also has more poke than the roads in the UK allow you to make full use of. I don't think that any normal mature driver could possibly be disappointed with any of the engines in the range. (when I say mature, I mean as in been through the boy racer stage and now wants to keep a clean driving licence, but still get a frill out of driving)

It may feel like that but in fact the 200 does have a strut bar under the engine which makes the front stiffer.
I'm sure I've seen a picture of this but can't find it quickly. The less powerful models don't have this bar.

frankvdb

Reaction score
Tat3trib said:
Yes Iam no boy racer anymore 43yr old just want a good driving car with a good bit overtaking poke when needed ,, what are the temp sensor symptoms to look for , the 200bho a test drive had the fan going after a 15 min drive when I pulled back on the forecourt , sounded a bit iffy for a cool day and short drive

Still did you consider the HDi?
I had a 2.0 HDi 110 in my 2001 307. Not sure whether that is the same block as in your Citroen, but the RCZ HDi is much better in any way than the 110. The two biggest improvements I find are that the turbo keeps its pressure better when travelling at constant speed (so that fuel economy is much better) and it keeps accelerating to high revs so that any overtaking can be done quickly in fourth gear without need to change up. I'd recommend to give it a try at least. The bonus is that the HDi has fewer issues so you don't need to be so concerned about warranty etc.

A

Anonymous

frankvdb said:
Tat3trib said:

I had a 2.0 HDi 110 in my 2001 307. Not sure whether that is the same block as in your Citroen, but the RCZ HDi is much better in any way than the 110. The two biggest improvements I find are that the turbo keeps its pressure better when travelling at constant speed (so that fuel economy is much better) and it keeps accelerating to high revs so that any overtaking can be done quickly in fourth gear. I'd recommend to give it a try at least. The bonus is that the HDi has fewer issues to you don't need to be so concerned about warranty etc.

When you say that " keeps accelerating to high revs so that any overtaking can be done quickly in fourth gear" are you simply showing your age, Ie when fourth gear was the highest gear? I comfortably overtake in 6th. The torque from this engine is simply amazing. I couldn't recommend this engine highly enough for it's power, performance, reliability and frugalness for all mature drivers. I fully accept that the 200 THP would be better suited to the young and fearless.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
The Hdi is way better in acceleration IMO. The 200 only has 275nm and the HDI has 320nm. The R only has 10 more than the HDI at 330nm.
Admittedly the petrols have higher revs, but for overtaking power the HDI should win when you drop a gear.

A

Anonymous

Former owner of a 156 Gt it wasn't as fast as thought,the rcz is a heavy car but again it all depends what car's you have owned previously,it's not slow and at most a slightly spirited drive but the fuel costs are very good l averaged about 43 mpg easily

RCZ1

Reaction score
The temp sensor problem shows itself in various ways. For me the running temp was not running at normal temperature (70 not 90). The fan would sound like it was a tractor and going to fly off (the fan does run for a short time normally but the temp sensor problem means it is far, far louder).

frankvdb

Reaction score
OO58RON said:
frankvdb said:
Tat3trib said:

I had a 2.0 HDi 110 in my 2001 307. Not sure whether that is the same block as in your Citroen, but the RCZ HDi is much better in any way than the 110. The two biggest improvements I find are that the turbo keeps its pressure better when travelling at constant speed (so that fuel economy is much better) and it keeps accelerating to high revs so that any overtaking can be done quickly in fourth gear. I'd recommend to give it a try at least. The bonus is that the HDi has fewer issues to you don't need to be so concerned about warranty etc.

When you say that " keeps accelerating to high revs so that any overtaking can be done quickly in fourth gear" are you simply showing your age, Ie when fourth gear was the highest gear? I comfortably overtake in 6th. The torque from this engine is simply amazing. I couldn't recommend this engine highly enough for it's power, performance, reliability and frugalness for all mature drivers. I fully accept that the 200 THP would be better suited to the young and fearless.

Ron, I can overtake in fourth gear much faster than you can in sixth.
Just look at the engine statistics.
Sometimes you need every second you can get on our busy roads so for my overtaking fourth gear is the optimal choice and six gear would be more dangerous because it takes too long.

A

Anonymous

I bought a 156 hk, since the 200 hk variant is killed by taxes in this country. (almost 15000£ difference)
The car corners great, specially if you get the h&r springs and some wider wheels and tires.

If you want more power its a very easy engine to get 195+ hp out of.
All I did to mine was a remap and exhaust.

A

Anonymous

frankvdb said:
Ron, I can overtake in fourth gear much faster than you can in sixth.
Just look at the engine statistics.
Sometimes you need every second you can get on our busy roads so for my overtaking fourth gear is the optimal choice and six gear would be more dangerous because it takes too long.

Fair enough. You continentals might have decimal but we/I can make better use of 6th gear :lol: In seriousness obviously I realise that dropping a gear or two would speed up the maneuver, however I am never in that big of a rush. I tend to cruise now more than have spirited runs. It makes those spirited drives all the enjoyable when they happen :clap: