What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

156 or 200. Which to buy?

A

Anonymous

Looking for advice from people who have driven both.

I want the GT spec but am not sure which to go for. (I don't like diesels, so the HDI not an option).

200 isn't that much less economical than 156 according to official figures, but I never trust them, what mpg difference is there in real world driving.

Expert reviews say that most reviews say the 200 is quite a bit faster. Is that just 'experts' driving it round a track saying that, or again in real world is it faster?

The cost isn't that much different either, but I don't want to waste that money if the difference isn't noticeable. Would rather spend it on hte styling bits!!

Much appreciated any real advice

A

Anonymous

simple stretch the budget as far as you can for the model you want but the rcz gt can become very expensive..............too expensive in my opinion as the residuals wont justify the high spec cars price in a year or 2.if you have come from a 200bhp+ car go for the rcz 200thp gt if not buy the 156 gt the way you want it with spec you like.

MY IDEAL RCZ would be the 156 gt in opal white or dolphin grey with extras like satnav,solstice alloys,vision pack(should be standard) ;) sports pack(AGAIN SHOULD BE STANDARD).thats it i think any other extras are not worth getting unless you have money too waste :(

A

Anonymous

It depends on what your gonna use it for. If it's being driven on windy lanes and it's a play thing, 200. If you chose the RCZ purely for looks and your not too fussed about driving in anger, the 156 is perfect

A

Anonymous

I have the 156 GT and drove the 200 just for a test drive, personaly i found the 200 a far harder drive than the 156, i think the hardness of the drive would of drove me nuts in a short space of time, i did found it a bit quicker in the mid sort of range, if that makes any sense, but nothing to write home about, however as far as overall performance on the 156 is concerned it is more than adequate for my needs.

MPG on the 156 is ok, but like any car with a turbo, if you drive it like you stole it then it will become thirsty.

As for difference in the cost, well its about £1100 and like you have already said should you go for styling over power, i went for more styling rather than the extra 40bhp, and a firmer drive. Again though it's a personal choice.

Thing is you really need to weigh up what YOU want from the car, for me it was looks first with adequate performance when needed.

If you really do need that little bit extra power and enjoy a firmer drive then maybe the 200 is what you're looking for.

A

Anonymous

JOAKES said:
It depends on what your gonna use it for. If it's being driven on windy lanes and it's a play thing, 200. If you chose the RCZ purely for looks and your not too fussed about driving in anger, the 156 is perfect

Pretty much spot on advice :clap:

jassyo06 said:
simple stretch the budget as far as you can for the model you want but the rcz gt can become very expensive..............too expensive in my opinion as the residuals wont justify the high spec cars price in a year or 2.if you have come from a 200bhp+ car go for the rcz 200thp gt if not buy the 156 gt the way you want it with spec you like.

MY IDEAL RCZ would be the 156 gt in opal white or dolphin grey with extras like satnav,solstice alloys,vision pack(should be standard) ;) sports pack(AGAIN SHOULD BE STANDARD).thats it i think any other extras are not worth getting unless you have money too waste :(

Definitely got the opal white colour , model, wheels and extras spot on :clap: :lol:

A

Anonymous

What is wrong with the amazing 2.0 HDi GT? Fast, economical on fuel and cheaper to run as well. It is an all round good buy. Well worth considering

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
What is wrong with the amazing 2.0 HDi GT? Fast, economical on fuel and cheaper to run as well. It is an all round good buy. Well worth considering

if you do over 12k miles a year the hdi is a must especially if the motoring in done the motorway,my 1.9 multijet grande punto "remapped "using a tunit box :cool:175+bhp was immense on the motorway,it gave my mates subaru sti a good run for its money on the dual carriageway from greenock to glasgow :eek: the only car i have ever loved....................sad i know but its true what they say about italian cars you buy with your heart and not your brain :( :)

A

Anonymous

I would go for 200hp. It’s not only the significant difference in power but also the car setup is sportier and more fun to drive (if of course this is what you are looking for).
The 156hp is mostly a cruising car - and I insist it is not only the difference in power.

A

Anonymous

zoros said:
The 156hp is mostly a cruising car - and I insist it is not only the difference in power.

I 100% agree, the two cars give a totaly different ride, the 200 feels harder and stiffer on the road. For me the 156 felt the more comfortable ride between the two cars..

A

Anonymous

the 200thp cant be firmer than the civic fn2 on 19"s,i for 1 hated driving to miss the slightest pot hole or a undulation on the road you just couldnt relax.as for 200bhp in the rcz the difference between 156 bhp is not that much i came from 200bhp and aint nowt to shout about and have always thought you need 230-250bhp+ to feel any great sensation of speed in heavy cars like they build today.the rcz has load of potential for upgrading in performace and handling hopefully peugeot will see this because i for one would have a TYPE R-C-Z IF YOU CATCH MY DRIFT

A

Anonymous

Jassy you right,
The civic fn2 is like riding on breeze blocks, and is hell of a lot harder than the 200 and thats how i compare the 156 to the 200, just like the civic to the 200.
Also like you i dont think the performance between the 156 and the 200 is that big a deal.

I think Peugeot should stick with the 156 for mere motals like myself but increase the bhp on 200 engine for people who look and want more power ect ect.

Theres obviously a market for both types of engine and performance.

A

Anonymous

Wow thanks guys, great advice there!

I think i'll go for the 156 now. I don't live in an area where there's a lot of fun roads, so wouldn't use the small amount of extra power

A

Anonymous

fadr86 said:
Wow thanks guys, great advice there!

I think i'll go for the 156 now. I don't live in an area where there's a lot of fun roads, so wouldn't use the small amount of extra power

44 bhp is not a small amount of extra power normally there is a bit of a difference its just how the rcz produces it thats the difference 0--60 should be better in the 200thp 7.6 secs is it not, and should be in the sub 7secs mark,mid range there will be a good difference between the 156 and 200 but if you want great mid-range power buy the 2.0 hdi.

after 10k miles in the autoexpress magazine trade car they said the cars ride had suffered badly/worn badly.surely this is a build quality issue not a suspension parts problem.ie peugeot need to screw it tighter together by some margin i think.its like the civic type S and the type R both sporty but the type R IS MORE DISTINCTIVE and has its own identity and is easily distinguishable from the type S.THE 156 GT RCZ AND THE 200THP GT ARE not,so the 156 gt will end up the most popular choice as its cheaper by £1,600 i think but looks the same

i think the rcz needs a "GTI" MODEL and i think that will come next year or not long after

A

Anonymous

The best advice anyone could give you.......take them both out for a test drive and pick the one YOU prefer! It's that easy!

A

Anonymous

ValleNorte said:
The best advice anyone could give you.......take them both out for a test drive and pick the one YOU prefer! It's that easy!

Sama sama :thumbup:

soundwave5150

Reaction score
OO58RON said:
ValleNorte said:

I've had a nightmare trying to find a 200 to test drive :cry:

A

Anonymous

soundwave5150 said:
OO58RON said:
ValleNorte said:

I've had a nightmare trying to find a 200 to test drive :cry:

Really? That's odd...for some of the comments I have read on this forum, the dealers can't seem to give them away! :lol: :lol: :cool: :cool: :lol: :lol:

A

Anonymous

Iv heard that about the 200s. It's the same for the 508 with the the engine. Not ONE in England as far as I can see :eek:

A

Anonymous

There is a massive difference between the 156 and the 200. Don't let those who chosen to get the 156 for whatever reason persuade you otherwise. the 200 handles better, accelerates better and feels all round more sporty. The ride is a little firmer because of the sports suspension set up but not the teeth rattling concrete that some make it out to be. Try driving around the welsh mountains in a Defender 90 and you will start to appreciate the smooth quiet set up of the 200GT.

As you will probably guess, I have the 200GT with every option on the list from Wifi to front skirts and tow bar. The only thing I did not fit was quad exhausts as fake exhausts are bit like tits on a bull. I don't have 'animal' or adverts fro brake pads, oil or whatever stuck all over the bodywork either. When I drove the 156 I loved the looks but buying one was marginal, when I drove the 200 I bought it on the spot. Don't dismiss the diesel either, if it was not the 200 then it would be the Diesel for me, lovely quiet all rounder with plenty of low down torque. Th 156 is in my opinion is a bit of an orphan, more aimed at those who want to low emissions, cheap lease or a fitting in with a company car policy or just prefer bark over bite.

Who cares about residuals, every car plummets in value the moment you drive out the door. 20% gone in a stroke on VAT and then normal depreciation. If you can't afford it don't buy it, get a push bike as they do tend to hold a little value if the scrotes who nick them all the time are anything to go by.....

You need to go and test drive all 3 and not listen to the rhetoric on here, especially the crew who tell you how crap the whole experience has been. Once you have test drove all of them then decide. As far as real world mpg is concerned mine averages 27mpg. That is over the 2000m I have had it and bought in May. I don't pussy foot around but neither am I a boy racer (hence a clean licence).

Anyway, thats my 2 cents. Oh and if you get my drift the Type R is a horrible, rattly plastic boy racer toy that I would not even accept a lift in.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: